Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Imrans123
Advocate V
Advocate V

Signing out of all Accounts affecting Gateway

Hi, 

Was wondering, if anyone tried to do this. I want to go to Microsoft 365 admin and sign out all sessions for a particular user. This user is logged in to a enterprise data gateway instance. If I change the password and sign out of all sessions, would I need to relogin with that account on the gateway?

4 REPLIES 4
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Imrans123 

When you log out of all sessions for a user through the Microsoft 365 admin center, this action invalidates all access tokens associated with the user account across Microsoft 365 services. Within an hour or when the user leaves the current Microsoft 365 page, they will be prompted to sign in again.

Enterprise Data Gateway uses service accounts to maintain connections to local data sources. If the account used for the data gateway is the same account that is logged out from all sessions, it may affect the gateway's ability to connect to the data source until re-authenticated with new credentials.

If you change the password of a user associated with the enterprise data gateway and log out of all sessions, you may need to:

Update the credentials used by the Enterprise Data Gateway with the new password.

Re-enter your login information to re-establish the connection to the data source.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Imrans123 

the user won't be able to use the Gateway until he enters his new credentials.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Hi Amine, 

Just to clarify, I have the gateway setup on a computer that has SQL Server. I am using DataFlows to query from the SQL Server instance in the gateway computer. If I were to sign out of all sessions on M365 admin, would that dataflow refresh not work until I sign back in? 

If so, can I sign back in through the service, or would I have to physically go into the gateway PC and login on the gateway?

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

The refresh still goes on regardless. it is when you want to add a source on the gateway in the service that you will be asked to re enter your credentials.

That's why it wiser to use Power Bi service account for refresh.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors