Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

chahineatallah
Helper III
Helper III

Sharing of an app in public

Hello Power Bi community

I created a report few days ago, uploaded to PBI service, created an app, 

How i can make the app publicly available? like reports i can make "Publish to web"

Do we have something like that for apps? 

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @chahineatallah ,

Yes, the user should have pro license so you could share with him the app.

The workspace should be premuim per capacity so users with free license in your organisation could access the app.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chahineatallah ,

1. To create or update an app, you need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license

2. For app consumers, there are two options:

• The workspace for this app is not in a Power BI Premium capacity: All business users need Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) licenses to view your app.
  • The workspace for this app is in a Power BI Premium capacity: Business users without Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) licenses in your organization can view app content. However, they can't copy the reports, or create reports based on the underlying datasets. Read What is Power BI Premium? for details.

Note: Premium Per User is different with Premium Per Capacity, PPU is for user, another is for capacity

3. If you want to share the Power BI App with external user, please add the external user to your organization with guest user role. There are two ways: Plan Invite and Ad-Hoc. When the external user is guest user for your organization, you colud share the App with them. 

4. Only Report could publish to web

For more details, you can read related document: Publish an app in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft LearnDistribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft LearnWhat is Power BI Premium Gen2? - Power BI | Microsoft LearnPower BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chahineatallah ,

1. To create or update an app, you need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license

2. For app consumers, there are two options:

• The workspace for this app is not in a Power BI Premium capacity: All business users need Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) licenses to view your app.
  • The workspace for this app is in a Power BI Premium capacity: Business users without Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) licenses in your organization can view app content. However, they can't copy the reports, or create reports based on the underlying datasets. Read What is Power BI Premium? for details.

Note: Premium Per User is different with Premium Per Capacity, PPU is for user, another is for capacity

3. If you want to share the Power BI App with external user, please add the external user to your organization with guest user role. There are two ways: Plan Invite and Ad-Hoc. When the external user is guest user for your organization, you colud share the App with them. 

4. Only Report could publish to web

For more details, you can read related document: Publish an app in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft LearnDistribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft LearnWhat is Power BI Premium Gen2? - Power BI | Microsoft LearnPower BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @chahineatallah ,

Yes, the user should have pro license so you could share with him the app.

The workspace should be premuim per capacity so users with free license in your organisation could access the app.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @chahineatallah ,

you can't share an app publically, it needs a pro license for the user to consume it.

For app consumers, there are two options.

• The workspace for this app is not in a Power BI Premium capacity: All business users need Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) licenses to view your app.
  • The workspace for this app is in a Power BI Premium capacity: Business users without Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) licenses in your organization can view app content. However, they can't copy the reports, or create reports based on the underlying datasets. Read What is Power BI Premium? for details.

For more info, check this link https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-create-distribute-apps

Follow me on Linkedin

Hi Idriss, thanks for the reply

let me tell you in more details 

1. My workspace is in power bi pro

2. if i understood correctly the user with whom am sharing the app he should also have a pro license

so if i change my workspace to premium per user , the other end can view even without a license, but what if the user is external and is there a way to share a link to the app, like sharing a report by pressing "Publish to web" ? i couldnt find a way to share an app as public so that external users can see it

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors