Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sharing gateway / data source with external user

Hi,

I found this forum post that came to the conclusion that this is not currently possible.

However, Here they have said "External Azure AD B2B guests can view apps, dashboards, reports, and export data. They can't access workspaces or publish their own content. To remove these restrictions, you can use the Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization feature."

If we enable this feature, can we share our data sources with guest users? If so, what privileges are needed when creating the "security group"? 

I have enabled this feature, but I couldn't see the shared data sources when I logged in as the guest user. Seems, what I'm trying is still not possible, or need to change some security group privileges. Can someone tell me whether this is possible or need some configuration changes?

2 REPLIES 2
MAwwad
Super User
Super User

Enabling the "Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization" feature in Power BI will allow external Azure AD B2B guests to edit and manage content in the organization, including apps, dashboards, and reports. However, it does not allow external guests to access the organization's data sources.

If you want to share a data source with an external guest, you will need to create a copy of the data source and share that copy with the guest. To do this, you can use Power BI's sharing feature, which allows you to share individual dashboards or reports with specific users or groups.

To share a data source with a guest, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to the workspace that contains the data source you want to share.
  2. Click on the "Datasets" tab.
  3. Click on the "..." menu next to the data source you want to share and select "Settings".
  4. In the "Settings" pane, click on the "Security" tab.
  5. Click on "Add user" and enter the guest user's email address.
  6. Select the appropriate role for the guest user (e.g. "Can View" or "Can Edit").
  7. Click on "Add".

Once you've shared the data source with the guest, they should be able to access it using their own credentials. However, they will not be able to refresh the data or make changes to the original data source. If they need to make changes, they will need to create their own copy of the data source and make the necessary changes there.

Hi @MAwwad , Thanks for the reply.

But it seems this is about sharing datasets, not sharing data sources. We really need to find a way to share data sources.

Please locate our actual requirements here

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors