Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

thyjones
Helper I
Helper I

Sharing Power BI content within sharepoint - license query

Morning All,

I am a Power BI Pro user. I've created a number of reports that I now wish to share.

I beleive I have 2 options.

1) Embded in sharepoint online. I've tried this, but my users (with no license) can not see the report. They see, This content isn't available.

2) Publish to web.

Option 1 is what I ideally wish to do, but if I'm right with what I think, this will never work for a user who has no BI license (but has a office 365 account).

Option 2 concerns me, due to their message when publushing: "You are about to create an embed code for this report. Once published, anyone on the internet will be able to access the report and the data it contains, and Microsoft may display the report on a public website or public gallery."

Users will only be viewing the report, not altering it. It is unrealistic to get all users a license just for adhoc viewing.

How far do they take their licensing, I know the url of the report is unlikely to be guessed, but someone in theory could.. but if they start sharing this around, that worries me?

Do they allow a shared license, i.e 1 user can have a license which is able to be logged in multiple places or is this against their licensing terms etc?

Any suggestions please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @thyjones,

For your first option, the feature embed for SharePoint online is avaliable for Power BI Pro user or the contents in Premium capacity.

Actually, both of the user sharing the report and the user viewing the shared report should have Pro license or the contents in Premium capacity so that Free user could see the shared contents.

If your receiver has a office 365 account, he could contact the O365 global admin to find out if he can assign the Power BI Pro licnese in admin portal.

For Publish to web, as you could see the message when you publishing, publish to web is not very security, When you use Publish to web, the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone on the Internet. There is no authentication used when viewing these reports. 

Last but not leaset, using shared license is not advisable. If you have a lot of recipients, you can consider Premium.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @thyjones,

For your first option, the feature embed for SharePoint online is avaliable for Power BI Pro user or the contents in Premium capacity.

Actually, both of the user sharing the report and the user viewing the shared report should have Pro license or the contents in Premium capacity so that Free user could see the shared contents.

If your receiver has a office 365 account, he could contact the O365 global admin to find out if he can assign the Power BI Pro licnese in admin portal.

For Publish to web, as you could see the message when you publishing, publish to web is not very security, When you use Publish to web, the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone on the Internet. There is no authentication used when viewing these reports. 

Last but not leaset, using shared license is not advisable. If you have a lot of recipients, you can consider Premium.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors