Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

nick011
Frequent Visitor

Sharing Paginated Reports to Customer

Customer in a different country has requested me use Power BI to build them a set of printable reports. 

I can used PBI desktop and Report builder to create paginated reports, but what is the best process for sharing?

I am an advanced Power BI user but new to paginated. We usually build & deliver PBI desktop files to a customer for them to publish/manage themselves.

How does this work if I want to include a paginated report? A far as I can tell I need to publish data to PBI Service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @nick011 

There are a few approaches you can consider that might suit your requirements:

1. Exporting Reports as PDF or PowerPoint
You can export Power BI reports to PDF or PowerPoint files. This is a simple way to share static views of the reports without requiring the recipient to have a Power BI license. The downside is that these reports won't be interactive:

Pros: Easy to share, no license required for the viewer, works offline.
Cons: Static data, no interactivity.

2. Publishing to Web (Not recommended)
Publishing Power BI reports to the web (publicly) allows anyone with the link to view the reports without any license. However, this method is not recommended for sensitive data as it makes your data publicly accessible:

Pros: Easy access, no license needed.
Cons: Publicly visible, not secure for sensitive data.

3.Share the generated RDL file directly with your customers.

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nick011 

Paginated reports are a type of report that are optimized for printing or generating documents. They are designed to fit well on a page and display all the data in a table, even if the table spans multiple pages . You can create paginated reports using Power BI Report Builder, a standalone tool that you can download for free .

What are paginated reports in Power BI? - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Download Microsoft® Power BI Report Builder from Official Microsoft Download Center

To share paginated reports with your customer, you need to publish them to the Power BI service, You also need to have a Power BI Pro license or a PPU license, and at least a contributor role in the workspace where you want to publish the report . Your customer also needs to have a Power BI license and access to the workspace where the report is published.

Create and use the paginated report visual - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Paginated reports in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks. Is there any way that I can build paginated reports (potentially embed into a dashboard), and send/share with a customer a) without them having a licence, and b) without them publishing to any workspace.

They wish to run it on a stand-alone laptop.

Hi @nick011 

There are a few approaches you can consider that might suit your requirements:

1. Exporting Reports as PDF or PowerPoint
You can export Power BI reports to PDF or PowerPoint files. This is a simple way to share static views of the reports without requiring the recipient to have a Power BI license. The downside is that these reports won't be interactive:

Pros: Easy to share, no license required for the viewer, works offline.
Cons: Static data, no interactivity.

2. Publishing to Web (Not recommended)
Publishing Power BI reports to the web (publicly) allows anyone with the link to view the reports without any license. However, this method is not recommended for sensitive data as it makes your data publicly accessible:

Pros: Easy access, no license needed.
Cons: Publicly visible, not secure for sensitive data.

3.Share the generated RDL file directly with your customers.

Best Regards,

Jayleny

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.