Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Johann_32
Advocate II
Advocate II

Shared Datasets & Live Connect

Hello,

we are currently thinking about allowing the use of Shared Datasets. I would have aquestion about this..

As an PBI Administrator, I saw the option "Allow live connections" in the Admin Tenant settings.

--> Is using a shared dataset from the power bi service always a "live connection"? If yes, then my question would be what this means in terms of performance and load for the datasource?

We only allow the use of dataflows as "system-based" datasources in our organization. These dataflows are import mode, only. No connect to any other source than local source is allowed.

This means, a shared dataset can only be connected whether to a local source like csv or to a dataflow.

Can you confirm that this means we do not put any load on the database where the data comes from? Or does the live connection really "trigger" the dataflow to do a query (similar like Direct Query) on the database?

Thank you

Best Wishes,

Johann

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Johann_32 

If based on your example all your PBIX files are in import mode, there will be no additional load on the data sources when the Power BI reports are used.

This is because all the queries are run against the Power BI datasets which is hosted within Power BI.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Johann_32 

If based on your example all your PBIX files are in import mode, there will be no additional load on the data sources when the Power BI reports are used.

This is because all the queries are run against the Power BI datasets which is hosted within Power BI.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors