Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

emlisa
Employee
Employee

Share your thoughts on the new data model editing in the Power BI service feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new Data Model Editing in the Power BI Service feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the Workspace level preview switch, why?
  • If you turned off the admin switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for additional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am glad to hear that you are excited to try this out! I suspect that the dataset you are trying to test falls under one of our limitations and that is why the 'Open data model' button is disabled. You can see a full list of our limitations for this experience here in our documentation: Edit data models in the Power BI service (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

To see which limitation your dataset falls under you can do the following steps:

Hover over the Open data model button in the dataset details page. This displays a tooltip indicating which limitation is causing the Open data model button to be disabled.

emlisa_1-1683644873240.png

View solution in original post

70 REPLIES 70

Thank you for this feedback! We currently do not support editing data models in the Service that have been modified via XMLA endpoint or have incremental refresh. However, hearing feedback like this on scenarios that are important to users like you is helpful as we make plans and priorities for future capabilities for this experience. 

Our organization (mid-sized municipality) is similarly positioned. Our datasets are large enough that incremental refresh is the only viable way to fully load them in a reasonable amount of time. We are different from the above example in that we do want to strictly govern measure and column definitions, such that we can endorse a model's re-use while ensuring that reports created by business users are accurate in what they depict.

While the Tabular Editor and ALM Toolkit are invaluable with the current state of incremental refresh, our development team finds itself continously trying to 'sync up' a .pbix file with the service-deployed model so that we can leverage the intellisense-style capabilties of the PowerQuery and DAX editors in Power BI Desktop.

While expansion of the service-hosted editor would be welcomed, I'd equally welcome expansion of Power BI Desktop to be pointed at service-deployed models for modifications (or even partition management, refresh, etc).

hannibalmads
Advocate III
Advocate III

I would turn it off as long as there is no version control, no undo, no save. You risk losing your work in an instant. At least you can save/discard while editing the report layout (the visuals) in the service. For the dataset this is a no go in my opinion. 

Thank you for the feedback! This is helpful to know that no option for version control, undo, or save will prevent you from adopting this feature. These are scenarios we are actively investigating for future improvements, and feedback like this is helpful as we continue to improve this experience. 

Let me emphasize that while I enjoy the concept of editing the data model in the browser, the feature of "As you make changes to your data model, your changes will be automatically saved. Changes will be permanent with no option to undo." is so counter intuitive and counter productive. OneDrive, Teams, SharePoint all have an automatically save but with the additional Version History. Without that, what you get is save without backup!  

Thank you for the feedback! Addressing these concerns is something we are actively investigating for future iterations of this preview capability. 

Jellbrae
Frequent Visitor

"As you make changes to your data model, your changes will be automatically saved. Changes will be permanent with no option to undo."

Is the "undo" feature (eg. like the applied steps in Query Mode but then on a higher level) still to come in the next few weeks or months or is it something that is not considered? 

The capability to revert a data model to a previous point in time is something we are investigating supporting for future milestones. This type of functionality will realistically take time to implement and will not land in the near future. Do you anticipate needing to "undo" changes regularly? Do you anticipate wanting to do this more in a single session using functionality like Ctrl+Z, or across sessions using functionality such as version history? We are interested in learning more about your feedback on this topic!

JoeCronk
Frequent Visitor

I'm not seeing the option to turn this feature on in our workspaces.  Has this been fully released yet?

Edit your data model in the Power BI Service (Preview) | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power B...

This has been released to all regions. Are you still not seeing this feature for your workspace? If so what type of workspace are you testing and in what region? The one thing to be aware of is not all datasets in pro workspaces are yet fully supported in the following regions. Information about this limitation will regularly be updated in our documentation found here: https://learn.microsoft.com...
Brazil South
Canada Central
Central US
East US
East US 2
India Central
Japan East
North Central US
North Europe
South Africa North
South Central US
Southeast Asia
UAE North
UK South
West US
West US 2

Hello @emlisa , I also don't see this option yet for our premium workspaces. I'm located in Czech Republic (Central Europe).

Kajkoo_1-1684237377357.png

Any advices how to turn this on?
Thanks

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! This should be available in all regions for Premium workspaces, we will investigate if there are any issues. 

I'm still not seeing this option.  We are using a Premium workspace and I'm based in North America.

I am sorry to hear that you do not see this option, do you still not see the workspace setting? This is publicly available in North America regions.

The option is available now.  It finally appeared for me about 2 weeks ago. 

Glad to hear this was resolved! Please let us know if you have any additional questions or feedback!

hi @emlisa 

I am excited to try this out!

I enbaled the feature as instructed yet, the option "Open Data Model" is disabled for me.

Fowmy_1-1683629222677.png

My region is West Europe (Netherlands)

Fowmy_0-1683629176540.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

I am glad to hear that you are excited to try this out! I suspect that the dataset you are trying to test falls under one of our limitations and that is why the 'Open data model' button is disabled. You can see a full list of our limitations for this experience here in our documentation: Edit data models in the Power BI service (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

To see which limitation your dataset falls under you can do the following steps:

Hover over the Open data model button in the dataset details page. This displays a tooltip indicating which limitation is causing the Open data model button to be disabled.

emlisa_1-1683644873240.png

I love being able to edit semantic models in the Service as that makes it much easier to manage centralized models. That said, I've found you can't use this feature with the Fabric Data Warehouse as some tables that get added are broken when you add them.

What's odd is not all tables have this problem; some in certain schemas work just fine while others fail. Is this being addressed?

Here's my community post about this behavior (link).

Here's what I was hoping this feature would be able to do.

1. Enable effective parallel development on the dataset layer. We currently use Tabular Editor desktop version for versioning, but parallel development is still a challenge because we can't perform all required tasks solely with Tabular Editor (adding new tables, defining relationships, etc.). Therefore, we perform these tasks in Power BI Desktop and serialize the model. This is a major bottleneck for parallel development because any change a developer does on the .PBIX renders the other developer's .PBIX out of date, and there's no effective way to pull a .PBIX while retaning any changes you may have made. 
  2. Support self-service report authors in inspecting the model relationships without having to use Power BI desktop. While there is an ability to author reports directly in the Power BI service, this functionality is severely limited with any degree of model complexity. Not being able to inspect the model relationsihps introduces confusion to the end users as they may inadvertantly create a visual with invalid relationships. As there is no way to inspect the relationships in the service, our users have to install and user Power BI Desktop.

Thank you for the feedback! It is helpful to hear what scenarios are most important to you.

1. We support mutple authors editing the same data model with this preview which is a first step towards helping address parallel development. It is helpful for us to know that parallel developement is something important to you!

2. Our previous allows users to view all relationships for their model by opening the data model associated with the report. Report authors can see all the model relationships within the service without having to open desktop as long as they have contributor access to the dataset.

Hope this helps! Thank you again for taking the time to share what scenarios you are most important to you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors