Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pg_libify
Regular Visitor

Share an online datasource without on-premise gateway with the team

Hi guys,

so I thought this is easily possible but I'm struggling.

What we have now due to the fact that our Cluster is not publicly available from the web (not both data sources are used in all reports):

• Power BI online → On-Premise gateway on server in our office → VPN → Online PostgreSQL database in our cluster
  • Power BI online → On-Premise gateway on server in our office → Storage space (.xls etc) on our Domain Controller

Since this is using a relatively slow connection (and is depending on our office to be online) we initiated a change and want a new setup. For most reports only using data from the PostgreSQL server, we want a change. For the data which is stored on-premise we still "want" to use the on-premise gateway:

• Power BI online → Online PostgreSQL database on standalone server
  • Power BI online → On-Premise gateway on server in our office → Storage space (.xls etc) on our Domain Controller

Report creating is no problem and the new database on the standalone server is read out.

But it is not possible to share this connections with the other members on our data analysis team! 😞

If the data source is created with the on-premise gateway, the Power BI online interface looks like this:

pg_libify_0-1676975893771.png

But if it is created without the gateway which we don't want to use, it looks like this:

pg_libify_1-1676975944838.png

Can somebody help me?
I've tried to create a virtual data gateway because it sounded kind of what I might need but it seems to be only for Microsoft's own services which are way too expensive and also we don't want to store this data on another company's SAAS solution.

Best regards,

Philipp

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors