Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

wilson_smyth
Post Patron
Post Patron

Service account to connect to dataverse

I am creating reports that query a dataverse environment.
I want them to connect to the dataverse using some kind of service/system account, not a user account.

Is it possible to use application users to do this? 

I cannot see a way to enter a client secret in power bi, so it looks like i have to create an AD Account and assign it the required permissions in dataverse.

Appreciate guidance on this.
Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wilson_smyth ,

It is true that you can use application users (service principals) for this purpose. You can do this by following these steps:

1. Register the application to get the client ID and secret. Detailed instructions for creating an app:

Register a Microsoft Entra app and create a service principal - Microsoft identity platform | Micros...

2. Once you have registered your application and set your client secret, you need to create an application user in Dataverse and assign the necessary permissions. For more information, see:

Use single-tenant server-to-server authentication (Microsoft Dataverse) - Power Apps | Microsoft Lea...

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.