Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mardin
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Service: Get Data -> Sharepoint | "The URL is not valid or you do not have permission to the site"

We have previously "Published" our .PBIX files to the Service by choosing the "Get Data" option in Power BI Online, the selected Sharepoint and typed the Site URL and selecting the .PBIX file from the Sharepoint folder.

The reason is we want to "Publish" our .PBIX files to multiple Workspaces and leverage the "OneDrive Refresh" option, so that we only edit the original .PBIX file in the Sharepoint site and all changes are then automatically "published" to the linked Power BI Workspaces.

Recently we are seeing an error when selecting "Sharepoint" from the "Get Data" menu. Any ideas why this is happening?

Untitled.png

12 REPLIES 12
SamKul

Is this issue resolved?

JOOV2
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue.

From 'Get Data' I can connect to the SharePoint website, but then connecting to the 'Shared Documents' library/folder gets me the error message:

"The URL is not valid or you do not have permission to the site. Please check the URL and make sure you have permissions to the site."

Ofcourse, the URL is correct and I certainly do have permissions.

Please help!

Best regards!

adpeters
Regular Visitor

1. Go to root site of tenant (https://tenant.sharepoint.com)
  2. Go to Site Settings
  3. Go to Site Permissions
  4. Click on "Permission Levels" in the ribbon
  5. Create new permission level that includes "Open" and "Use Remote Interfaces" 
  6. Give users access to the root site using that custom permission level 

This resolved this for a few people 

I had our Admin check @adpeters suggestion, but all of the permission levels already had "Open" and "Use Remote Interfaces" enabled, so this did not resolved the issue in my organization, unfortunately.

rjhale
Helper IV
Helper IV

I have a case open with Microsoft regarding this issue, and so far we've made next to no progress in the month this problem has been occurring.  It's frustrating to see a production feature be broken for over a month even with a Premiere ticket in with MS.  I'll post back here if we ever figure this out.

Anyone else have an update on this one? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

We experience the same - any news on this issue?

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mardin ,

Please use the URL below, then click on " /sites/<sitename>/Shared Documents " to choose your file .

https://xxxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/<sitename>

36.png37.png

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Amy @v-xicai , I am also having this exact issue, and desparately needing to learn a solution. Your support would be highly appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xicai Hello, am too having the same issue. Do you have any advice for this? Thanks

@v-xicaican you please advise? The issue is still there, and we don't know how to proceed. Is it a bug on server side?

@v-xicaithis is exactly what I do when I get above error. I enter the root link to the sharepoint site, not any sub folders. 

The root link produces above error.

Could it be that our Office 365 admins have somehow disabled the connection between Sharepoint and PowerBI?

I'm having exactly the same problem in my organization,  in the same conditions. All worked fine till  few days ago a now it doesen't work anymore with the same error message "he URL is not valid .." . I had the same problem with Power BI Desktop but i was able to resolve the issue when connecting sharepoint folder resetting all the credential properties, and now i can connect my sharepoint site with power bi desktop,  but with the PBI on-line version i'm unable to resolve the issue.   

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors