Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ambi95
Helper I
Helper I

Schedule refresh - do i need to refresh on desktop as well?

Hello I am new to PBI Service. I have scheduled refresh in Power BI service, do I still have to refresh on PBI desktop and publish again?
can someone pls explain - if my data is connected to a sharepoint folder, and I have also scheduled refresh, why did the numbers not reflect in the report?
The refresh did not fail .. i didnt get any failure mail.

@Ahmedx 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Power Bi Desktop is like a developer tool. When you close and apply your Transform Data Menu or click refresh, data is imported. That means you have download that data to work locally. You work with data from last week or last month creating measures and building new visualizations if you want. Locall environment is just for develop. Once you publish to service it replaces development and data you have up there. Schedule refreshes will help you keep the cloud report that users will view up to date. You don't need to refresh Desktop unless you want to work with a new column or table or something like that. Once published, the production environment is the Power Bi Service and it stands alone with its own refreshes. 

For cloud sources you can configure credentials and then schedule refresh. For local sources you must use a data gateway to configure sources and credentials and then schedule refresh.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Power Bi Desktop is like a developer tool. When you close and apply your Transform Data Menu or click refresh, data is imported. That means you have download that data to work locally. You work with data from last week or last month creating measures and building new visualizations if you want. Locall environment is just for develop. Once you publish to service it replaces development and data you have up there. Schedule refreshes will help you keep the cloud report that users will view up to date. You don't need to refresh Desktop unless you want to work with a new column or table or something like that. Once published, the production environment is the Power Bi Service and it stands alone with its own refreshes. 

For cloud sources you can configure credentials and then schedule refresh. For local sources you must use a data gateway to configure sources and credentials and then schedule refresh.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors