Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

curtismob
Helper IV
Helper IV

SQL On-Prem with Enterprise Gateway refresh issue

I have an on-prem data gateway dataset refresh that was automatically disabled.  The dataset is SQL server and has been working for months.  I cannot re-enable, because the on-prem data gateway option is grayed out.

Thank you in advance,

@curtismob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello,

I resolved my original issue.  I added a new IBM DB2 table to my dataset, so after publishing and since I didn't have a related source configured in my on-prem data gateway, it would not allow me to schedule a refresh.  Once I added the IBM DB2 data source to the on-prem data gateway, I was able to schedule my refresh again. 

As far as some of the other issues some of you have reported, we recently experienced some refresh failures that were due to firewall firmware updates, because of the continued need for stronger security.  Our security team had to make a firewall change to fix the refresh issue.

Thanks,

@curtismob

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
rjhale
Helper IV
Helper IV

I have a few reports that have scheduled refreshes against an on-prem Oracle datasource.  Everyone of those scheduled refreshes failed this morning, and I am unable to refresh the datasets on-demand in the service currently.  The data gateway is functioning as expected, and all of the data sources test without issue.  These reports have been refreshing on a daily basis for months without any problems until this morning.    

Hi there

There are the following issues with the Power BI Service at the moment which might be affecting your issues.

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

The service health page no longer has any information about scheduled data refresh failures.  My reports are still failing even though the data gateway is healthy, and I'm not finding anything that stands out in the log files.  I'm seeing really generic errors in the service that look like this with 15+ scheduled data refreshes:

Failed Connections:Query - Get Award Exceptions
Cluster URI:WABI-US-NORTH-CENTRAL-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:e8c3cc55-01e2-4f85-647a-60d8643ac60f
Request ID:a79a6fd5-f59b-61d1-2a16-2bd8c6f098a1
Time:

2018-05-14 14:25:15Z

I went as far as reinstalling the data gateway (I only have one machine with the enterprise gateway installed) and republishing several of my reports.  The on-demand refreshes would typically complete a refresh successfully the first time, but now they are right back to failing with the generic errors as posted above.  This is becoming a very big problem for us as this is now day 4 of all our scheduled processes being down.  

Is there a known issue with the service?  Any other suggestions for correcting the failed refreshes?

aeckes
Frequent Visitor

I am experiencing the same issue - I also tried reinstalling the gateway with no success.  Will continue to check in on that support page.

Hello,

I resolved my original issue.  I added a new IBM DB2 table to my dataset, so after publishing and since I didn't have a related source configured in my on-prem data gateway, it would not allow me to schedule a refresh.  Once I added the IBM DB2 data source to the on-prem data gateway, I was able to schedule my refresh again. 

As far as some of the other issues some of you have reported, we recently experienced some refresh failures that were due to firewall firmware updates, because of the continued need for stronger security.  Our security team had to make a firewall change to fix the refresh issue.

Thanks,

@curtismob

Both Schedule and on demand refreshes for Excel Workbooks are failings since saturday 05/12/2018

Is anyone facing these issues?

Although Power BI refreshes are working fine and the gateway does not log any message either.

Below is the message which I am getting, it is not at all descriptive.

Scheduled 5/14/2018, 9:31:06 AM 5/14/2018, 9:34:21 AM Failed Workbook refresh failed. See details for more information.
Failed Connections: XXXX
Cluster URI: WABI-US-EAST2-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 89899023-b67d-480b-a29c-de10c2e1aacc

Both Schedule and on demand refreshes for Excel Workbooks are failings since saturday 05/12/2018

Is anyone facing these issues?

Although Power BI refreshes are working fine and the gateway does not log any message either.

Below is the message which I am getting, it is not at all descriptive.

Scheduled 5/14/2018, 9:31:06 AM 5/14/2018, 9:34:21 AM Failed Workbook refresh failed. See details for more information.
Failed Connections: XXXX
Cluster URI: WABI-US-EAST2-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 89899023-b67d-480b-a29c-de10c2e1aacc
Request ID: 518edd66-263a-48dc-802b-6978dc3b0a11
Time: 2018-05-14 13:34:21Z

Yes, that is exactly the same problem that I'm having.  I should have been more clear in my original reply to the first post on this thread.  I'm seeing the same generic refresh errors with Excel Workbook refreshes (both on-demand and scheduled).  They had been running and refreshing successfully up until Friday morning.  I also do not see anything on the BI Service Health page that would suggest this is a known issue or something Microsoft is currently working on. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors