Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

judd
Frequent Visitor

Reports can't connect after switching to on-premises data gateway

I had set up a personal data gateway, which worked fine with my published reports connecting to an on-prem SQL server. My admin moved me to a pro account and shared an enterprise data gateway directly from our SQL server. I updated my reports to point directly to the new data gateway and now none of them can connect. The gateway itself shows as connected and the reports are pointing to the same sql server. Happy to provide any logging that would help get this sorted.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @judd 

How did your admin share the gateway to you? Adding you as the Administrator or User of the gateway? Please check these information:

1 The server name and database name are correct

2 The credentials of the data source are correct

3 Select the enterprise gateway in dataset setting pane and map the dataset to related data source in the Gateway

v-cazheng-msft_0-1620034536279.png

4 The status of the SQL Server is running

5 The connection between data source and Service are not blocked by the Firewall

6 The status of the each gateway cluster member is online in Power Platform>Data Preview

7 Update each gateway cluster member to the latest version

If you still have any question, please don't hesitate to let me known.

Best Regards

Caiyun Zheng

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @judd 

How did your admin share the gateway to you? Adding you as the Administrator or User of the gateway? Please check these information:

1 The server name and database name are correct

2 The credentials of the data source are correct

3 Select the enterprise gateway in dataset setting pane and map the dataset to related data source in the Gateway

v-cazheng-msft_0-1620034536279.png

4 The status of the SQL Server is running

5 The connection between data source and Service are not blocked by the Firewall

6 The status of the each gateway cluster member is online in Power Platform>Data Preview

7 Update each gateway cluster member to the latest version

If you still have any question, please don't hesitate to let me known.

Best Regards

Caiyun Zheng

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

Thanks for the recommendations. For others with the same issue here is what our actual problem was: MSSQL was set to require encryption, but in the UI didn't look like it had a cert set up. The PowerBI service should have been showing a "cert expired" error but instead was showing a generic error message. We turned off encryption, but it was still broken, the issue was that we had a reg key with the old cert uuid in it, after removing that and disabling encryption everything is good to go.

@judd 

OK.So your question has been solved, is it? If so, could you please mark the solution by clicking Accept as Solution. Really appreciate!

Best Regards

Caiyun Zheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors