Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rbernhardt
Frequent Visitor

Report in Service doesn't respect saved Filters

Hi,

I have an issue where reports publieshed to Service (normal Workspace) do not fully respect the filters created in the Desktop.

Steps:

1. Create single page Main report in Desktop with lots of Buttons and Bookmarks
  2. All Bookmarks are set not to apply Filter, Drill, and sort state (Data is unticked)
  3. Apply a filter
  4. Lock Filter
  5. Save report and name it something else
  6. Publish report to Service
  7. Repeat Steps 3 - 6

Report seemingly behaves normally in both Service and Web published version, however in Service if you click a button with a Bookmark or select a Bookmark directly and then refresh the page with F5, all the filters will reset to what they originally were when the Bookmarks were created.

I managed to get around it by updated every single Bookmark with the new filters for each report.

Is this a bug or intended behaviour?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Rbernhardt,

>>The bookmarks were created in the Desktop client and should overwrite any other rule.

I think you not so clear about my description. Currently, you can feel free do edit operations on power bi desktop side. 

When you work on power bi service side, it does not save changes that users apply on reading view mode, they will be restored if web page reloaded. (power bi service save the changes when you modify in 'edit' mode and click on the 'save' button)

For that scenario, I'd like to suggest you use 'personal bookmark' feature to saving these changes. (you need to tell your users to save their operations and turn on 'mark as default view' to keep the filter effect as the default view)  

After these steps, save filter effects will auto applied when that user views to current report.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rbernhardt,

When you click on buttons who binding to specific bookmarks with filters to enable filter effects, these changes and filters effect not really save to the report side. So these changes will be restored when you refresh or reload the report.

Maybe you can try to use a personal bookmark feature to save the custom filter of different users and save them as default view:

Announcing Personal Bookmarks in the Power BI Service 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply. The bookmarks were created in the Desktop client and should overwrite any other rule.

Hi @Rbernhardt,

>>The bookmarks were created in the Desktop client and should overwrite any other rule.

I think you not so clear about my description. Currently, you can feel free do edit operations on power bi desktop side. 

When you work on power bi service side, it does not save changes that users apply on reading view mode, they will be restored if web page reloaded. (power bi service save the changes when you modify in 'edit' mode and click on the 'save' button)

For that scenario, I'd like to suggest you use 'personal bookmark' feature to saving these changes. (you need to tell your users to save their operations and turn on 'mark as default view' to keep the filter effect as the default view)  

After these steps, save filter effects will auto applied when that user views to current report.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors