Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pwrbiadm
Helper I
Helper I

Report in PBI Service not matching with PBI Desktop

Hello,

I am not able to understand why the same report when published to PBI Service is not matching with PBI Desktop. I have tired recreating the same calculated columns in a different table, and even tried deleting the existing dataset and reloading it with a different name. Please see below screenshots and help. 

Thanks,

Gaurav

PBI DesktopPBI DesktopPBI ServicePBI Service

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just had the same issue. Mine was caused by having a filter on the page for [Column] = TRUE. It worked perfectly on desktop but on the online version my pages were blank. It turns out that for whatever reason the online service was summing the TRUE/FALSEs (if more than one) and providing a number for the filter to use. Obviously, this number never equaled TRUE so it returned 0 items.  I fixed it by forcing the columns to be Text values and updating my filters from = TRUE to = true and it fixed everything.

I spent hours trying to figure out this same issue.  Our experts were at a loss.  I'm surprised there aren't more posts about people with this problem. Thank you!  

Had the same issue, where a calculated column that use a "true" or "false" dimension resulted in a measure calculation of one number in the Desktop version but another in the online. Your solution of converting the dimension's data type to Text worked, but is problematic for Power BI to have different results. 

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @pwrbiadm 

Do you try to refresh the dataset both in the power bi desktop and power bi service to keep them have the same latest data? 

In power bi Desktop:

You can perform a one-time, manual refresh right in Power BI Desktop by selecting Refresh on the Home ribbon. When you select Refresh here, the data in the file’s model is refreshed with updated data from the original data source. This kind of refresh, entirely from within the Power BI Desktop application itself, is different from manual or scheduled refresh in Power BI, and it’s important to understand the distinction.

3.JPG

In power bi service:

You could also refresh dataset manually, and then please refresh the report for the visual cache.

4.JPG

5.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lin,

Yes, I have already tried refreshing both PBI Desktop & Service manually but that wont fix it. 

hi, @pwrbiadm 

If the datasets are the same. Is there RLS setting for this report?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-rls

https://radacad.com/row-level-security-configuration-in-power-bi-desktop

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lin,

Datasets are same and No RLS.

hi, @pwrbiadm 

If you try to download the pbix file from power bi service, and then compare them.

And if the slicers are the same (for example: like this case https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Filters-don-t-refresh-in-Service-even-though-saved-in-Deskt...)

or there are visual/page/report level filter on it?

If you still have the issue, you'd better create a support ticket in Power BI Support to get further help.

Best Regards,

Lin

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors