Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

derrickb
Frequent Visitor

Report data not auto refreshing analysis services connection

When some (not all) users access a report connected to an on-prem analysis services model, the visualizations are not refreshing. Even clicking on another page does not refresh the data. The user has to click the Refresh button in Power BI to update the data.

This is an inconsistent bug that occurs with some users, but not all.  Although I've only done limited testing, members have the issue, but owners do not. I noticed this because owners have the ability to edit the report... members do not.

Here are the detailed steps:

User accesses report in a group workspace on PowerBI online/web version.

When user opens report, it is reporting the 2016 data.

User has to refresh each page to get current 2017 data.

When user closes PowerBI web and re-opens, the summary page is back to the 2016 data.

This has occurred over and over again.

Thanks,

Derrick

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @derrickb,

Can you share some detailed information about your issue? It is hard to reproduce your issue form your description.

For e.g:

SSAS RLS setting, security setting, power bi connect mode, power bi role setting, workspace permission/security setting, screenshots...

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

• The model utilizes RLS described in this article.
  • Live connection to SSAS model.
  • The report was published to a group workspace.
  • Users with the refresh issue have proper access levels because the data loads fine if they manually refresh. A manual refresh is not required by all users.
  • User with issue has member access but not allowed to edit.
  • This is a very large report. It has 25 pages and around 200 different visuals.
  • This report has caused other issues because whenever the model is updated, Power BI checks for this and updates the local cache for users that have the report. This causes a massive performance hit on our SSAS server because Power BI tries to update the cache for all users as quickly as possible (without a throttle) and brings our services to a crawl for an hour. My theory is the cache is not getting updated for some users; however, Power BI thinks the cache was updated; therefore, the report doesn't update when the user initially opens the report.

Hi @derrickb,

I'd like to suggest you do some additional test to find out where the issue is.

If this issue only appear on specific users, it may caused by RLS.
If the issue random appeared, it may related to power bi.

In addition, you can also take a look at below links:

Power Bi refresh

Data refresh in Power BI

Configuring scheduled refresh

Power BI Security

Power BI Security

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I perfromed additional testing and it's random, pointing to a Power BI issue.  Some users with the same security settings have the issue, some do not. The issue occurs on the service and in the Power BI app.

It's not a refresh scheduling issue because the report is connected to an on-prem analysis services tabular model and is automatically refreshed. It's not an RLS issue due to randomness described above.

Thanks,

Derrick

Hi @derrickb,

Sorry for slow response, I try to reproduce your issue but failed. I'd like to suggest you submit a support ticket for this issue:

Power bi support

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors