Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tab2pbi1

Report and dataset mapping

Hi All,

Need information regarding pipelines. I am aware that we can assign existing workspaces to a newly created pipelines

however how can we map the content within different workspaces.

Example:

I have tons of reports and datasets already built and published to service 

The existing set up is we have Dev Test and Prod workspaces and I understand that we can map these workspaces to a new pipeline setup however how can I deal with differences between different workspaces since we have published the reports seperately earlier to respective workspaces and now we want to use pipelines.

I understand the only option is to delete the existing reports and datasets and migrate them fresly using pipelines please let me know if my understanding is correct or guide me the right way

Thank you in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Jonvoge
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi Tab2pbi1

You're in luck, as you simply need to set up two different pipelines:

One pipeline for your DEV, TEST, PROD workspaces for your models, and another for your DEV, TEST, PROD workspaces for the reports. You can connect your existing workspaces to the pipelines, and do not need to create new ones.

Deployment Pipelines in Power BI are 'auto-binding' (see the section in this documentation article: The Microsoft Fabric deployment pipelines process - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn), meaning that deploying a Report from e.g. Dev to Test, which is connected to a Dataset in another pipeline, will automatically auto-bind to the TEST version of the dataset once deployed.

View solution in original post

v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Tab2pbi1 

Before deploying content to a different stage, you can use the Compare and Change review buttons to display the content of each pipeline and see exactly which items are different and where those differences are. This feature helps you understand the differences between stages without needing to delete any content.

Compare content in different stages before deployment - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Deployment pipelines offer the option of selective deployment, which allows you to choose specific content to deploy to the target stage. This means you can selectively migrate reports and datasets that are needed, without affecting the existing setup.

Get started using deployment pipelines, the Fabric Application lifecycle management (ALM) tool - Mic...

Managing your workspace with Git integration can provide a more controlled way to handle versions and changes across your environments. This approach allows you to collaborate and manage changes more effectively.

Workspaces - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Tab2pbi1 

Before deploying content to a different stage, you can use the Compare and Change review buttons to display the content of each pipeline and see exactly which items are different and where those differences are. This feature helps you understand the differences between stages without needing to delete any content.

Compare content in different stages before deployment - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Deployment pipelines offer the option of selective deployment, which allows you to choose specific content to deploy to the target stage. This means you can selectively migrate reports and datasets that are needed, without affecting the existing setup.

Get started using deployment pipelines, the Fabric Application lifecycle management (ALM) tool - Mic...

Managing your workspace with Git integration can provide a more controlled way to handle versions and changes across your environments. This approach allows you to collaborate and manage changes more effectively.

Workspaces - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Jonvoge
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi Tab2pbi1

You're in luck, as you simply need to set up two different pipelines:

One pipeline for your DEV, TEST, PROD workspaces for your models, and another for your DEV, TEST, PROD workspaces for the reports. You can connect your existing workspaces to the pipelines, and do not need to create new ones.

Deployment Pipelines in Power BI are 'auto-binding' (see the section in this documentation article: The Microsoft Fabric deployment pipelines process - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn), meaning that deploying a Report from e.g. Dev to Test, which is connected to a Dataset in another pipeline, will automatically auto-bind to the TEST version of the dataset once deployed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors