Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report Prematurely Adjusting to Next Day

Hi All,

I have a Premium Power BI Workspace Report set up with filters for 'Last 1 Day' (i.e. today) and it serves as a "live" data-feed at half-hour refresh increments: 7AM to 11:30PM. Problem being that around 8PM the report is prematurely changing to the next day as if there were a time-zone issue. I've checked my dataset refresh and it is set at EST correctly. Is there some other location that the report would be drawing this from?

Thanks

Image.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Power BI is a cloud service, and that means Power BI files are hosted somewhere. Some DAX functions such as Date/Time functions work on system date/time on the server their file is hosted on. So If you use DAX functions such as TODAY() or NOW() you will not get your local date/time, You will fetch server’s date/time.

You can follow the methods in  https://radacad.com/solving-dax-time-zone-issue-in-power-bi to solve dax time zone issue.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

hi @Anonymous - Also a method to workaround this is issue is to use DAX method UTCNOW() and add/subtract a specific number of hours to display report in specific timezone rather than using NOW() or TODAY()

So for example it would be UTCNOW()-8/24 to move the date time to Pacific timezone 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/utcnow-function-dax

Please mark the post as a solution and provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
zwyatt
Frequent Visitor

I've been searching for a solution to this same problem all day and i keep getting this same answer as posted here.  However, the answer and the linked article ALL seem to based on reports using NOW() or TODAY(), etc. 
My report(s) do not use those.  They're mostly sales/production reports pulling data straight from SQL via queries, etc. 
I've mostly used my own date intelligence tables primarily to make all Prior Wk/Mth, WTD, MTD, etc easier to manipulate.  

If the majority of the Sales Report(s) date range(s) are being determined at the SQL level, how can I still adjust these reports to properly shift over to the next day at midnight, instead 7pm (my company is in Central Time Zone). 

Do I try and manipulate the date columns coming in? Do I manipulate my Date/Time Intelligence tables? 

I could really use some guidance, or a point in the right direction other than how to replace NOW & TODAY, etc. 

Thanks, 

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Power BI is a cloud service, and that means Power BI files are hosted somewhere. Some DAX functions such as Date/Time functions work on system date/time on the server their file is hosted on. So If you use DAX functions such as TODAY() or NOW() you will not get your local date/time, You will fetch server’s date/time.

You can follow the methods in  https://radacad.com/solving-dax-time-zone-issue-in-power-bi to solve dax time zone issue.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @Anonymous - Are you aware of the location of the Power BI server? It would seem that the server maybe be setup in UTC timezone. Are you using TODAY() or NOW() functions in your measures - this could also cause an issue with your reports. 

Please mark the post as a solution and provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks! 

hi @Anonymous - Also a method to workaround this is issue is to use DAX method UTCNOW() and add/subtract a specific number of hours to display report in specific timezone rather than using NOW() or TODAY()

So for example it would be UTCNOW()-8/24 to move the date time to Pacific timezone 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/utcnow-function-dax

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors