Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Wayfarer
Helper I
Helper I

Remove security group from Power BI Workspace Access

Hi,

I have a Power BI Workspace (new workspace experience, not O365 group), and I have an AAD security group added as Viewer access.

If I want to change or remove, I cannot.  The elipsis is greyed out and the message "A security group cannot be modified or removed".

The same applies to adding n O365 Group.

Why can't I change it?  My account has Power BI Admin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think I have solved this. The logged in user must be an admin of the workspace they wish to remove users from. Being a tenant admin is not enough. After logging in as a workspace admin, I was able to remove security groups from the workspace.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
nfadili
Frequent Visitor

I am running into this issue as well. When logged in as a Power BI Admin, the elipsis doesn't show when viewing access from the workspace page. Btt when viewing a workspace from the 'Admin Portal' the elipsis do show but are greyeed out with the message "A security group cannot be modified or removed"

According to the docs this should be possible? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-roles-new-workspaces#workspace-r... I can't imagine that there is no way to remove members from a group...

I think I have solved this. The logged in user must be an admin of the workspace they wish to remove users from. Being a tenant admin is not enough. After logging in as a workspace admin, I was able to remove security groups from the workspace.

Oh, I'd forgotten about this post.  Being a workspace admin makes sense.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Wayfarer ,

Based on your description, I cannot reproduce it in my envrionment. I can remove the security group as admin in my environment. Could you pelease share some screenshots about it for further discussion?

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors