Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Refresh on Desktop works fine, Refresh on Service fails

My 88mb report takes about 45 minutes to load on Desktop, but recently the refresh done on the Service has been failing.  It takes a very long time, about 90-120 minutes, before it fails due to invalid credentials.  The credentials are the same between the report and the service and I've troubleshooted all the basic ideas to fix it.

The only thing I changed was the data load setting on Desktop for Parallel loading of tables.  I changed this setting from the default (6 concurrent jobs) to 3.

What would cause the service refresh to be slower than the desktop?  Usually, the Desktop refresh will fail on me before the Service does.  Does the Data Load setting impact anything?  

3 REPLIES 3
v-kaiyue-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TakeoffGoatMigo ,

1. The refresh time difference between Power BI Desktop and Power BI service can be attributed to several factors. A key factor is the environment in which the refresh operation is performed. Power BI Desktop uses its resources to perform the refresh operation locally on the computer. The Power BI service, on the other hand, performs refresh operations in the cloud, where it may face different constraints and performance characteristics.

2. The token has an expiration time, and if the refresh time in the service is long, it may cause the token to expire, resulting in an invalid credential error. For detailed information, please refer to the following documents.
Permission tokens needed to embed a Power BI app - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Understand the OAuth 2.0 authorization code flow in Azure AD - Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Learn

If your Current Period does not refer to this, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Clara Gong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What's the data source, and where is it physically located compared to your desktop and the Power BI Service cluster?

The data source is CRM Dataverse and it is an import connection on the desktop file.  It is the only cloud connection in this dataset, the others connect through our organizations gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors