Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refresh Failed - Internal Service Error

Yesterday I updated PBI Desktop, made some changes to 5 reports and republished them all. Of the 5 reports re-published 4 of them are set to use refresh schedules. The refresh started out ok but since then 2 of the changed reports (plus another one I haven't changed) started to fail to refresh beginning around 5 hours ago.

The error I get is "The last refresh attempt failed because of an internal service error."

Technical Information:

Activity Id: 2f9c5f94-7f1d-48ee-bf5d-cb39a0656c23

Request Id: 0aab327c-e8c3-49e3-81ba-6ae66493025b

Cluster Name: WABI-WEST-US-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Refresh Start Time: 03/22/2018 13:01:14Z

Refresh End Time: 03/22/2018 13:06:02Z

I've tried republishing the failed reports again (which worked on another thread) but this doesn't help. I've resubmitted data source credentials in the refresh schedules, this also doesn't work.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks @v-jiascu-msft - I did just that. The support desk were very helpful.

The solution in my case was to remove the broken reports from the Online service and re-add them.

1 - Open the report(s) in PBI Desktop and clear the cache (file...options and settings... options)

2 - Refresh the data in the desktop and save.

3 - Open PBI Online and remove the associated dataset(s). Note - you'll need to remove the reports from any content packs before you can remove the reports and data from the online service. Also you might want to make a note of the (failed) refresh schedule you had before doing this so you can recreate it exactly.

4 - Hop back to PBI Desktop and publish the report from PBI Desktop to Online

5 - Hop back to PBI Online and set the refresh schedule back up

6 - Add the reports back into any apps or content packs.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
bhuffman

I setup multiple refresh times (4). I am now starting to have quite a few dashboards refreshing at the same time and I imagine some can get hung up. I decided to have them reset at different times and this seems to help. Also, if you are using tiles, this could be causing the issue. Delete and run a manual refresh, then the scheduled refresh should go back to normal. 

Also, instead of deleting and republishing, you can publish over the existing copy without ever deleting the original one. 

apoprio
Helper I
Helper I

In our case...
We verified that this happens when we have a Dashboard related to the Dataset and that in this Dashboard there is an error!!!
When we deleted the Dashboard and it started working again... 😂

Hi!

This seems more close to the root cause that anything I could find on the internet.

How you identify the dashboard with error? I have a lot dashboard conected to the same dataset, I think it's possible that one of them has a error, but I really don't know how to identify that.

Hi Pedro, I believe the issue is with the data model, not the report. It's not very fun if you have to remove and replace the data model if you have multiple reports built on it. Sorry.

Tim

Janski

I agree. This does not address a root cause, could happen again and makes me wish I'd chosen a Cloud First platform.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

so deleting / re-publishing report was not option for me because of some links we use. At the end I created MS support ticket (in O365 admin centre) and they helped me.

In my case the issue was caused by tile in dashboard. After deleting all tiles that originated in my report, manual refresh and even scheduled ones are working again. 

Zuzana

You're doing the Lord's Work. Thank you very much, it worked!

Thanks, This option of removing dashboard tiles worked for me without even changeing the link.

My guess is even by dropping the dataset and report would have removed the link between dashbaord and report and thats why its working for other's option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked like a charm for me as well. Thanks!

tyler-PBI
Regular Visitor

I've had this problem a few times this past week. That solution clearing the cache and deleting the dataset worked, but I also have the same problem as the Report URL is changing for users each time and frustrating them (and me). This is not sustainable, there must be a more clear problem/solution?

I have also started using the app workspace now. I can't seem to delete the data source without unpublishing the app. Does anyone know if I unpublish, the app, delete and replace the data source, then re-publish the app, would the URL and saved dashboards for the app stay the same? I'm trying to champion PBI internally but can't have the remote working CEO with broken links/barriers to implementing this.

I can't seem to call or e-mail anyone from Microsoft on this topic? If I try to create a ticker as per suggestion by 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know if this process of 'republishing' the reports would affact the URL of that report? 

We are using apps to distribute reports and if I need to redistribute a new URL for the report (or app) each time this happens - this will quickly escalate to a major issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

by my experience url of report changes if you delete previous version and then upload new one. If you are just owerwriting old one, it obviously stays the same. Report section's ID's don't change, but Report ID does and that is the problem if you have used links to to join that report with some other. BTW Im having same problem with 2 of my reports and deleting them from workspace would affect dynamic links I'm using somewhere else, so I'm still looking for some other solution..

Zuzka

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I would suggest you create a support ticket here.

create ATicket

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks @v-jiascu-msft - I did just that. The support desk were very helpful.

The solution in my case was to remove the broken reports from the Online service and re-add them.

1 - Open the report(s) in PBI Desktop and clear the cache (file...options and settings... options)

2 - Refresh the data in the desktop and save.

3 - Open PBI Online and remove the associated dataset(s). Note - you'll need to remove the reports from any content packs before you can remove the reports and data from the online service. Also you might want to make a note of the (failed) refresh schedule you had before doing this so you can recreate it exactly.

4 - Hop back to PBI Desktop and publish the report from PBI Desktop to Online

5 - Hop back to PBI Online and set the refresh schedule back up

6 - Add the reports back into any apps or content packs.

Hope that helps.

This is absolutely ridiculous to have to jump through these hoops to get refreshes to work. How much money is Microsoft making and the software doesn't even work effectively?

Yikes!

Followed these instructions to the letter. I tried it on two PBIX files. It completely destroyed the files. Now they won't even load. I keep getting prompted to log in a few times and then it finally just stops opening.

Luckily I had backups of the files.

Beware! Make copies of your files before you try this.

It's these types of maintenance that start to question Microsoft's governance.

Try to imagine a big company having this impact on several datasets already used by many departments?

Lamentable the solution !!! 

To me, that's really too amateurish!!! 🤔

This solution worked perfectly for me. 

Thank you!!

I also faced this issue and your solution worked for me...Excellent ..Thanks😊

This worked for me also. I wish it wasn't necessary, but glad to get around it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors