Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kris2x5
Advocate II
Advocate II

RLS without workspace access

I've defined roles for RLS, published the dataset online, and added the email addresses to each role within the Service. Users do not have access to the workspace and it's intended to stay that way. However, the users are unable to access these reports despite assigning their emails to a role. Is this because they don't have workspace access that they cannot view it? Or is there an additional step required to give them access to view a report that they don't have workspace access to? I know this isn't an issue for apps. 

Previously I found that if I went to the dataset online and navigated to "Manage Permissions", I could add direct access to a report without adding a user to a workspace, but is that step even necessary? It can solve the problem, but I'm not sure if that is the intended solution. Also, that route doesn't appear to be working for me anymore.

My current solution is to give access via a Share Link along with Read permission in "Manage Permissions." I find access still remains after deleting the share link in "Manager Permissions". It's like the user needs some sort of way to get initial access to the report. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kris2x5 ,

Whether or not a report with RLS applied can be accessed properly is independent of the access rights to the workspace. Rather, it has to do with the ability to access the report.The best way is that you can share the reports to the end users after configuring RLS and let them access the reports through a shared link.

As you can see in the figure below, you can give users access to the report in the Manage Permissions section of the report. After my testing, it does not require you to add the user to the workspace.

vcaitlynmstf_1-1652683299419.png

Also note that if you add users to the workspace and give them roles other than "viewer", RLS will not take effect.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kris2x5 ,

Whether or not a report with RLS applied can be accessed properly is independent of the access rights to the workspace. Rather, it has to do with the ability to access the report.The best way is that you can share the reports to the end users after configuring RLS and let them access the reports through a shared link.

As you can see in the figure below, you can give users access to the report in the Manage Permissions section of the report. After my testing, it does not require you to add the user to the workspace.

vcaitlynmstf_1-1652683299419.png

Also note that if you add users to the workspace and give them roles other than "viewer", RLS will not take effect.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for confirming!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors