Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

RLS not being observed when exporting to PDF/PowerPoint

Hi there,

Not sure whether this is symptom of a similar problem reported in late 2019 about exporting to PDF/Powerpoint from PowerBI Service not observing filter settings, but finding RLS is not working when exporting to PDF/PowerPoint from PowerBI service either.  The view of the report shows the correct RLS behavior when 'testing the role as a user', but when attempting to export under that same test...the extracts show all the data.

Any ideas?

Thanks inadvance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

This is by design rather than an issue. Below is the response from the professional Engineers.

> "This is by design. It is just to test the role but not to apply the same filter for exporting."

You could try to add filters manually in Filters Pane. And then export the report to PDF.

Work with filters in Power BI reports 

And if you really need the functionality, maybe you could submit a new idea in Power BI Ideas.

(I haven't found a similar idea. So the new idea may take a long time to be completed.)

Hope this can help you.😉

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AndreNunes

I'm having the same issue. I've got a web app where a Power BI dashboard is embedded. The report has RLS, which is respected when I see the data on the screen, but when I export it to PDF the RLS is ignored and I can see all the data.

KiranHosakote
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @Anonymous, 

We've built a tool called BI Helper https://bihelper.tech/ to automate the generation of  PDF / PPTX reports from Power BI (Pro and Premium), with slicers and filters applied.

With BI Helper, you can select report pages to print, schedule and generate multi-page PDF / PPTX reports and email them to your users. BI Helper has an option to include matrix and table visuals as Excel files, and lots of other advanced features. Our users routinely run reports of up to 30 pages, with the process fully automated from report generation to delivery. 

BI Helper is simple to configure and use with your Power BI reports and dashboards. It is secure and scalable (hosted on AWS) and offers a 14 day free trial. Try it out and let us know how it works for you. 

Thanks, 

Kiran Hosakote

BI Helper

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

This is by design rather than an issue. Below is the response from the professional Engineers.

> "This is by design. It is just to test the role but not to apply the same filter for exporting."

You could try to add filters manually in Filters Pane. And then export the report to PDF.

Work with filters in Power BI reports 

And if you really need the functionality, maybe you could submit a new idea in Power BI Ideas.

(I haven't found a similar idea. So the new idea may take a long time to be completed.)

Hope this can help you.😉

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I am fairly sure that RLS is supposed to inactivate the ability to download a PBIX or export to PDF/PowerPoint. That's generally how that has worked in the past.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors