Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Burbu7

RLS in PBI Service disappeared

Hi to every one, 

I had two reports uploaded in a workspace in the Power BI Service. At the security level, it had the security roles configured in Desktop with users assigned to these in Power BI Service. All was working fine until yesterday when the users assigned to the roles suddenly "disappeared" (the roles exist, but the users are no longer assigned). Does someone know what could have happened? No significant changes have been made. The only thing that has happened in my Company is that they have been changing sources or adding new ones to the gateway. I would like to find the error so that it doesn't happen again since it takes really long to re-assign the roles.

Greetings,

Alejandro

4 REPLIES 4
encamped
Frequent Visitor

I've encountered the exact same issue... I haven't had any issues with a same dataset until today then all at the sudden after today's dataset refresh, all users were disappeared from the RLS access list . 

Doodle
Advocate II
Advocate II

hi @Burbu7 ,

Did you ever resolve this? We encountering the same issue. 

In our case we have done everything in the service, no PBI Desktop.  

1. We created a Datamart in a workspace in Premium Capacity.

2. We created roles in the datamart and assigned them users. 

3. All our staff has pro licenses.

4. We created report from that dataset in a different workspace also in a premium capacity.

5. We gave access to the users to the report app and assigned them to security roles in the datamart.

6. We add the users to the dataset permission list.

7. Everything works fine immediately after setting up, but after the scheduled refresh (or even a manual refresh) the assignment in the security role will disappear. The user still remains in the dataset permission and has access to the app. 

8. This issue occurs for the same user everyday and can be repeated. Other users are unaffected.  

Anyone else encountering such issues?

Burbu7

I created security roles in Power BI Desktop and I assigned members (PBI accounts) in Power BI Service. 

NewUser777
Resolver I
Resolver I

What kind of users were they ? Were they using windows AD login or Azure AD login ? 

If the users were Windows AD users and you had roles in Powerbi desktop ,then you cant migrate them to PowerBI service as the deployment will fail  asking to remove the windows user accounts with RLS . 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors