Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gazzo1967
Helper III
Helper III

Question regarding free licence requiring a simple answer :)

Hi
Scenario
An app is made by a Pro licence and is 'stored' in a premium workspace.
Can any user (if the organisation installs everyone Power Bi with a free license) view the app content when they are a member of a security group?
And is it truely a free license?

Regards Gary 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@gazzo1967 Yes. For a Premium workspace (not a Premium Per User workspace) you need a Pro license to publish content but anyone with a free license and access to the workspace/app or a specific report within the workspace can view it. Power BI Licensing in Pictures - Updated! - Microsoft Power BI Community

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lmills

We have a few people using the Power BI Desktop, which is supposed to be free, but now they are getting a message that says the free version expired.  I know absolutely nothing about Power BI and I am not an administrator or software guru, but have been tasked with finding out what we need to do.  In plan and easy terms, how do we get the free version to extend?  Thank you.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@gazzo1967 Yes. For a Premium workspace (not a Premium Per User workspace) you need a Pro license to publish content but anyone with a free license and access to the workspace/app or a specific report within the workspace can view it. Power BI Licensing in Pictures - Updated! - Microsoft Power BI Community

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Okay, maybe I didn't make myself clear with my question.  We have 3 users of Power BI Desktop.  None of them share data.  Per my understanding this means they are using an license that doesn't expire, yet some are getting messages the Power BI Desktop is expiring.  Do they need to do anything to continue to use the current license?  Thank you.

Hey @lmills ,

please provide a screenshot of that message, stating that Power BI Desktop is expiring. I never heard of any such message before.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors