Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on Power BI

Hi Power Bi Folks,

Will anyone be kind enough to answer my below doubts. A little details will be helpful

• When you make a workspace premium, should users require a Pro License? if not, will they be able to access all functionality of Premium workspace.
  • What is the main difference in Pro and Premium, I understand this was design for Cost purpose. What are the other benefits? Will the sharing and publishing only for Premium licencse.
  • Instead of making each user Pro,if we made the Workspace premium, yet, it still requires Pro Licenses

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

• Yes, it means only the apps which are published.
  • Premium is not something to allocate to a user like power BI Pro license is for a user, Power BI Premium refers to a dedicated capacity assigned exclusively to your workload. You can just place your workspace in that dedicated capacity which means that particular Microsoft Hardware capacity is exclusively used for your Organisation. 
  • In your scenario, you just need 2 power bi pro licenses and then make sure the workspace is in Premium Capacity and Publish an App for that workspace so that 1000 users will be able to interact and view dashboards and reports present in that app because it's in Premium Capacity.
  • If you want to share an app with free user that's where your corresponding workspace needs to be in Premium Capacity.
  • If you want to share an app with Pro User then the workspace need not to be in Premium Capacity.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

• Yes, it means only the apps which are published.
  • Premium is not something to allocate to a user like power BI Pro license is for a user, Power BI Premium refers to a dedicated capacity assigned exclusively to your workload. You can just place your workspace in that dedicated capacity which means that particular Microsoft Hardware capacity is exclusively used for your Organisation. 
  • In your scenario, you just need 2 power bi pro licenses and then make sure the workspace is in Premium Capacity and Publish an App for that workspace so that 1000 users will be able to interact and view dashboards and reports present in that app because it's in Premium Capacity.
  • If you want to share an app with free user that's where your corresponding workspace needs to be in Premium Capacity.
  • If you want to share an app with Pro User then the workspace need not to be in Premium Capacity.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for the response. One thing I didn't understand is what do you mean by consuming published app. If I am not wrong it means only the apps which are published. 

So if my scenario is like I have 2 users who will do the editing and publishing of apps and sharing of dashboard and 1000 users who will be just viewing the dashboard I should go for 2 Pro license and premium workspace for 1000 users. Right??? Or 1000 users will require Pro even to view dashboard. Or I just require premium and pro for my 2 users and other 1000 can just view it without any cost involved.

Also can you please give me a scenario where user will need only premium workspace and not pro license?

Thanks a lot in advance

Anonymous
Not applicable

• Accessing app workspaces (as members or admins) and publishing apps requires a Power BI Pro license.
  • Power BI Pro user will be able to access the premium app workspace, edit reports and publish an app for that workspace where as Free user will be able to only consume the published app.
  • Though Workspace is in premium, you still require a Pro license to access the workspace.
  • Over all Premium is designed if the organisation has a lot of users who consume the published content still Pro license are required in order to collaborate with other to access workspace and edit reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors