Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Q about Repor/App that uses a Dataset in another Workspace. Is my understanding correct?

Seemingly:

If one has a Report or App in Workspace A, that relies on a Dataset in Workspace B. Then,

• it's not enough to share the Workspace A App or Report with a user
    • One also needs to grant the user read access to the Dataset in Workspace B.
  • Kind of a bummer, because if one wants to share things via groups.
    • You can share Apps or Reports via Microsoft 365 groups (Microsoft 365 groups can generally be freely created and modified in most companies )
    • You can only grant dataset access via a Security Group (something that typically requires input from an IT department)
      • The one alternative being, to just grant access to individual users - bleh.

Anything wrong with my understanding? Seems like not a great situation.

2 REPLIES 2
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmace1 ,

I remember that if you shared a report to another user it will grant read access antomaticly.

I don't quite understand the second point of your question. From my point of view, if you only want to share specific report or app, you could use share feature. If you add users to workspace, they will have access to the contents in the workspace not only reports.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@v-jayw-msft 

If you share a report (or app) with another user, it *will* grant access automatically. 

Unless that report (or app) uses a Dataset, which resides in different Workspace.  Then one needs to also share access with the Dataset.  The only way to do that with groups, seemingly, is with a Security Group. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors