Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

abhijitsahay
Frequent Visitor

Published report doesn't work - complains that "there is no gateway to access the data source"

Hello:

I created a report using a direct query connection to a SQL Server database.  When the report is published, it comes up blank with the message "There is no gateway to access the data source <name of db>".   I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago with a Postgres database and that report works fine.  Does anyone have experience with this issue?  Appreciation in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

If you SQL Server database is on-prem, then you need a gateway so the published power bi report can "direct query" the database on-prem, or else it cant talk to the database as there is not direct connection from cloud ( power bi service ) to on-prem.

I have no experience with Postgres database, but yours could be in the cloud, where no gateway is needed. Can the be true?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
abhijitsahay
Frequent Visitor

Thank you!  Yes, that's probably what it must be.  I will find out later today.

Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

If you SQL Server database is on-prem, then you need a gateway so the published power bi report can "direct query" the database on-prem, or else it cant talk to the database as there is not direct connection from cloud ( power bi service ) to on-prem.

I have no experience with Postgres database, but yours could be in the cloud, where no gateway is needed. Can the be true?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors