Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Hickling
Frequent Visitor

Published report different colours to desktop

I've seen a lot of topics on this when I searched, but none with any solutions, just people saying they can't recreate the issue themselves. I can't share my pbix file, my desktop version is 2.107.841.2 64-bit. It doesn't happen for every report, just this one. The desktop version uses 5 different colours, all part of my custom theme. When published it uses two of my theme's colours twice. I have reordered the colours in the visuals "columns" section to match the order that I sorted the legend.

Hickling_0-1659939249858.pngHickling_1-1659939271994.png

I tried reverting the visual by going to columns and 'reverting to default', this time it used the correct 5 colours, but changed the legend item that each colour represented (different visual to save me having to republish a bunch)

Hickling_2-1659939352751.png

Hickling_3-1659939372661.png

So it has to be something to do with the ordering of the legend. The legend column is text, and is ordered via 'sort by column' by a separate column in the same table that is whole numbers. Is there a known bug for chart colours when using 'sort by column'? Or a step I haven't applied? It's infuriating

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bubble4502
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @Hickling ,

Suppose you apply a custom color set (or individual color) to a particular data point in a visual by using the Custom color option in the color picker. When you apply a report theme, it does not override that customized data point color.

Or, suppose you want to manually set the color of a data point color by using the Theme colors section. When you apply a new report theme, those colors are not updated. To get your default colors back, so they'll update when you apply a new report theme, select Reset to default, or select a color from the Theme colors palette in the color picker.

Note: Many Power BI visuals won't apply to report themes.

For more details, please refer to:

Use report themes in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

Beides, here is a similar thread that may helps you : 

Data Colors Change in Service vs Desktop (differen... - Microsoft Power BI Community  

Kind Regards,

Bubble

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Hickling ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or if you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your problem or share me with your pbix file after removing sensitive data.

Refer to:

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Bubble4502
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @Hickling ,

Suppose you apply a custom color set (or individual color) to a particular data point in a visual by using the Custom color option in the color picker. When you apply a report theme, it does not override that customized data point color.

Or, suppose you want to manually set the color of a data point color by using the Theme colors section. When you apply a new report theme, those colors are not updated. To get your default colors back, so they'll update when you apply a new report theme, select Reset to default, or select a color from the Theme colors palette in the color picker.

Note: Many Power BI visuals won't apply to report themes.

For more details, please refer to:

Use report themes in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

Beides, here is a similar thread that may helps you : 

Data Colors Change in Service vs Desktop (differen... - Microsoft Power BI Community  

Kind Regards,

Bubble

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors