Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Jorgen_VDB

Publish to web

Dear, 

I have a Pro power bi license, but I can't seem to find the option to publish my dashboard to a PUBLIC website? This is what I get as an option. Is there a way to post a dashboard for people without Power BI accounts to watch them. This would come in very hand as I am working for an intergovernmental organization and transparency is a key value.

Jorgen_VDB_0-1697794821924.png

Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

RLS is not allowed when you do Publish To web. Consider that RLS is a security rule for the logged account. It wouldn't make sense for a public url that anyone without an account can see.

I hope that make sense

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

christinepayton
Super User
Super User

It is very likely that the feature was turned off at the tenant level to prevent people from accidentally/intentionally publishing private data to the public web. This feature is very commonly disabled. You might work with your IT team to see if they will allow it for specific users. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

It is very likely that the feature was turned off at the tenant level to prevent people from accidentally/intentionally publishing private data to the public web. This feature is very commonly disabled. You might work with your IT team to see if they will allow it for specific users. 

Jorgen_VDB

I have a MS form that is submitted and triggers a Power Automate Flow. The answers are put in an excel (on MS Teams or Sharepoint if that is the same?). This excel makes up the dataset of a power BI report. Everytime someone submits the form, the excel should be updated, the dataset refreshed the report (on the public web) refreshed and the report be exported as a PowerPoint file to a folder in the same Teams group the excel and form are in. Do you see any trouble in that?

The form filling new rows for an excel with Power Automate is correct. Regarding the dataset it's not that straight forward because the refresh of the dataset is asyncronous. You can only trigger a refresh 8 times a day, so you must think the time you want to configure the refreshes and it's not going to be real time.

The automatic export to PowerPoint can only be done with the Power Bi Rest API if you purchase a capacity license like Premium.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. There are two things you should consider here:

1- There are limitations to the feature, check the following doc to validate if you are breaking a consideration: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web#considerations-a...

2- This feature can be disabled for the entire organization. If you can't do it in any report, then it's disabled. But, if you can do it with other a not only with this one, then the option 1 might be one.

Publish to Web is a free feature and you should be able to use it. If there are features that won't let you, then the only way of sharing a report without microsoft login is developing a custom web app using Power Bi Embedded license. There are companies that already comercialize tools to let users use them like that. Example https://pibi.cloud

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

What does row-level security imply?

RLS is not allowed when you do Publish To web. Consider that RLS is a security rule for the logged account. It wouldn't make sense for a public url that anyone without an account can see.

I hope that make sense

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.