Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Basti

Problem with MS Access database and enterprise gateway

Hi,

I have several data sources located on a file server in a special folder. My IT department configured an enterprise gateway refering to this special folder. This setup works fine for xlsx files. Unfortunately it doesn't work properly for my MS Access database. When creating the Report in Power BI desktop I connected the database by "folder" - "binary" and chose the correct table. In PBI Desktop everything works fine. I can refresh without problems. After publishing the report to PowerBI services I configured the gateway. The gateway connection is working. When refreshing the dataset I get the following error.

• Fehler bei der Datenquelle{"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Unspecified error"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Detail","detail":{"type":1,"value":"test database.accdb"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason","detail":{"type":1,"value":"DataFormat.Error"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table: data sources.
  • Cluster-URIWABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Does anybody have an idea how to solve this issue.

Thank you very much for your support.

BR Sebastian

3 REPLIES 3
OlenaVo
Frequent Visitor

Hi Sebastian, 

I am facing the same issue.

Did you get a chance to find the root of this issue? 

Could you please share the solution?

Thanks, 

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Basti ,

If you've fixed the issue on your own please kindly share your solution. If the above posts help, please kindly mark it as a solution to help others find it more quickly. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Basti ,

Have your enterprise gateway and Access database been installed on the same machine? On-premiss gateway supported Access database but please note that: Supported with the ACE OLEDB provider, installed on the same machine as the gateway.

If you are using a custom ODBC connector to connector in gateway , please consider the following limitation in this document:

• Make sure the folder you create is accessible to the background gateway service. Typically, folders under your user’s Windows folder or system folders won’t be accessible. The on-premises data gateway app shows a message if the folder isn't accessible. This instruction doesn't apply for the on-premises data gateway (personal mode).
  • For custom connectors to work with the on-premises data gateway, they need to implement a “TestConnection” section in the custom connector’s code. This section isn't required when you use custom connectors with Power BI Desktop. For this reason, you can have a connector that works with Power BI Desktop, but not with the gateway. For more information on how to implement a TestConnection section, see this documentation.

Please also refer to this similar thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/ODBC-in-On-Premise-Gateway-Data-Source-Error/td-p/841330

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors