Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cc_online
Frequent Visitor

Problem publishing app with datasets across workspaces

Hey everyone,

I want to publish a workspace app to an external B2B guest user group (the user accounts are set up and work fine!). In the App workspace are all report files for the app and a dataset, which is a composite model and "directquery"s another dataset in the Master dataset workspace (see attached image). Some of the report files use the dataset in the App workspace as data source, some use the dataset in the Master dataset workspace. The reason why I had to create two datasets is because some report files shall make use of RLS (since RLS does not work with a live connection dataset, I had to create a composite model that makes use of DirectQuery), and some shall not make use of RLS (in other words, some reports should show specific data based on the user opening it, and some reports should show for all users the same data). When I publish the app in the App workspace, the users only see the reports that are based on the dataset in the App workspace, the other reports show errors. I read that with having RLS set up, users need to have "Viewer" permission for the workspace(s), so I gave them the permission for the Master dataset workspace. But this did not solve the problem, the error was still the same. Then I figured out, when granting users with "Member" permissions for Master dataset workspace, they are able to access the app - also RLS works with this permission-settings (although as far as I understood, this should not be the case, since RLS should only apply to users with “Viewer" permission and not “Member" permission). But by granting "Member" permissions for Master dataset workspace, the users are also able to access the underlying reports and datasets, which I don't want. Which permissions do I have to set, that users can access the workspace app without giving them access to any underlying reports or datasets? (I’m having a Pro license, in case this matters).

By the way, this post here is pretty similar to my situation, I did exactly the steps mentioned here and it does nonetheless not work.

For better understanding, I made a scribble of the setup of the workspaces and attached an image of the error message I get for the reports that make use of RLS.workspace setupworkspace setup

error message for report with RLS appliederror message for report with RLS applied

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for your reply. The video actually does not refer to my exact problem, but I got feedback from Power BI support in the meantime, which solved my issue. The solution is to publish the app in the app workspace and share it with the users and additionally give the users "Build"-permission in the Master workspace for the master dataset only. This solved my problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cc_online 

I find a video related, please check if it helps,

vxiaotang_0-1632465269734.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm-902ry-qU

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply. The video actually does not refer to my exact problem, but I got feedback from Power BI support in the meantime, which solved my issue. The solution is to publish the app in the app workspace and share it with the users and additionally give the users "Build"-permission in the Master workspace for the master dataset only. This solved my problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors