Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nandic
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Pro license for Gsuite account

Hi,

I need help setting pro license for a company who doesn't use Microsoft/Office accounts, but Gsuite (test@company.com).
What is the best way to achieve?
1. Users already use Gsuite (gmail) accounts for emails
2. They will not migrate to any office product, they just need Pro license so that they can view the reports/apps that are shared

Steps done:
1) tried to add permissions to these users when publishing app, there was notification telling it can't be shared with these users
2) i created their users in the Office 365 admin portal, assigned them pro licenses (same email as gsuite test@company.com)
3) Nobody received any email and they still don't see the app
4) I think there is now a conflict between their company/gsuite account test@company.com and new office account?

So what would be the best way to purchase Power BI Pro license, assign it to gsuite test@company.com account and share apps with them?
This test@company.com is internal user, not a guest user. Nobody in company uses Microsoft office license.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
Nemanja Andic

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @nandic 

From my understanding if you are not using Office 365 you would then need to create guest accounts in AAD. This will then allow you to grant a Power BI license to these guest accounts.

There might be another way to translate it from another login into an internal Office 365 account, but that is beyond my experience.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ thank you for the response.
Yes, i tried to add users in AAD as guest users, but then i receive notification that that user can't be guest user as email (@company.com) matches company mail and it is recognized as internal user.

Additional information:
I created a user (as standard internal user). I published the app, copied app link, opened in incognito browser, logged in as that new user and i could see the app.
But still, it is partial solution as users still don't receive emails when app is published with and shared with them (or any other Power BI notification). I spoke to one "office admin guy" and he mentioned that this office account doesn't have mailbox, can't send emails at all, but i am not very familiar with office user management, licenses and tenants.
The goal is to have minimum office management, just to assign pro license to users with gsuite accounts.

Best regards,

Nemanja Andic

Hi @nandic,

For internal users, licenses can be assigned directly by the administrator
For external users, you need to add the user as a guest user in AZURE AD and assign the license to them.
As for the email address to receive power bi notifications, you can add the email address to the contact list of the workspace.

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors