Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Pro License email? Guest users to see my PBIs? I'm confused...

Hi everyone,

I have been polishing my Power Bi skills for some months and I'm now hoping to sell Power BI implementations to clients.

My confusion...

As far as I know, you need a Pro License to share and indeed consume shared apps. So I cannot get a free user (hopefully a client) to check an app I have developed to see the potential PBI can offer.

Furtthermore, according to this page you need a company email to sign up to Power BI. Yet the same page then goes on to state:

"After you sign up, you can invite guest users to see your Power BI content with any email address, including personal accounts." 

This implies two things: 

a) a guest user can be invited without a company email

b) a guest user can get access to see my content without a Pro license (given that they don't need a company email to acess my content and a company email is a requisite to sign up to Power BI).

So the first paragraph sates you need a company email to sign up to Power BI. The next paragraph implies you don't if you are invited as a guest user. (How do you then get a Pro account to see an app you have been invited to check out/see if you have been invited with for example a gmail account.)

So I'm confused.

What do I tell my potential clients with regards checking out a PBI project I've created? Do I invite them as a guest user (without necessarily using a company email) and that let's them see my content (as stated in the quote above)? Do I ask them to sign up WITH a company email (what if they don't have one?), get a Pro account and then I grant them access through my admin portal by adding them as a user? How do they get a Pro account without a company email?

Please help!

Thanks,

Paul.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PaulDBrown ,

What do I tell my potential clients with regards checking out a PBI project I've created? Do I invite them as a guest user (without necessarily using a company email) and that let's them see my content (as stated in the quote above)? Do I ask them to sign up WITH a company email (what if they don't have one?), get a Pro account and then I grant them access through my admin portal by adding them as a user? How do they get a Pro account without a company email?

The administrator can assign pro license to guest user in Office admin portal. Based on my test, the users with personal account, they cannot sign in https://app.powerbi.com as normally we do. They can only access the report / dashboard with the sharing link in the notification email.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

@v-frfei-msft 

Thanks for the explanation. A couple more questions if I may. 

When you say:

The administrator can assign pro license to guest user

What exactly are the implications? Who pays for the Pro License? 

I am setting up to sell services on Power BI. So if I assign a pro license, do I pay for it? 

And

They can only access the report / dashboard with the sharing link in the notification email. 

So I can send them a link to the report / dashboard and they get access to it? Is the report / dashboard they access fully functional?

Is there any comprehensive resource I can look up to understand these issues (and the admin portal ect)?

Thanks again,

Paul.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors