Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rpinxt
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Presenting a visual on screen (with PowerPoint) needs to refresh after dataset refresh

The situation:

I have a simple 1 page report with 1 visual.

I want to show this visual on a screen in our warehouse and the visual on the screen should refresh when the dataset auto refreshes.

Now I thought the easiest way would be to put the report in a PowerPoint presentation with the build in feature.

So the link to the online report is in.

Was hoping that the powerpoint would refresh if the dataset in services was refreshed.

But this is not the case.

Is there anybody who has done something similar already? And how did you guys pull it off?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PabloDeheza
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @rpinxt !
Try setting up Auto refreshing page in your Power BI Desktop.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-automatic-page-refresh
Let me know if that helps!

View solution in original post

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @rpinxt ,

If the goal is just to show an updated report the PowerPoint method might work, but, what I would do is share the App on the screen.  That way you stay in the Power BI environment.  And, the data will get updated based on your refresh schedule.

As for the visuals in the app, I believe that automatic refresh will do what you need:  Automatic page refresh in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn  If you are not using Direct Query, you could also use a custom visual with auto-refresh.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
rpinxt
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thanks guys @collinq @PabloDeheza I will have a look at the links.

Also interested in the App your are mentioning @collinq .

Not sure what you mean with that.

How do you show an app?

Hey @rpinxt ,

This might help to explain the differences:  Power BI – Apps, Workspaces, Dashboards, Reports and Datasets Defined : :: Welcome To EPM Strategy :...

But, after you have the report in the Workspace, you can then create an App.  The App is a bit easier to share on a screen and/or make public because you can turn off most interactivity if you want.  And, it is in (in my opinion) a bit easier to present with - particularly when you are wanting to display more than interact.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

rpinxt
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thank you @collinq !

One more question as I am not using direct query and don't have the "page refresh" section.

(could see if I can do direct query but for now not)

What would be the custom app that gives this feature?

Hey @rpinxt ,

To use a custom app, you can do this in Power Automate that forces the refresh.  But, the more I am thinking about it - if you know when your dataset is refreshing and you set up the scheduled refresh that will automatically update the visuals in your app.  Then, the app will always be the "most recent version" based on the refresh cycle in the dataset in the workspace.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

rpinxt
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thanks @collinq , well the dataset is a bit the problem.

I setup a schedule to run every half hour.

So lets say 10:00, but then power bi does not start the refresh untile 10:05 (sometimes 10:11).

If you are on a half hour schedule you miss already a lot of course.

The SQL data refreshes every half hour (actually set it to 3 minutes before because it needs a minute to run).

So looking for a way to force power bi to start at the correct time.

Well have been able now to change my report into using direct query.

Maybe that will work....?

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @rpinxt ,

If the goal is just to show an updated report the PowerPoint method might work, but, what I would do is share the App on the screen.  That way you stay in the Power BI environment.  And, the data will get updated based on your refresh schedule.

As for the visuals in the app, I believe that automatic refresh will do what you need:  Automatic page refresh in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn  If you are not using Direct Query, you could also use a custom visual with auto-refresh.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

PabloDeheza
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @rpinxt !
Try setting up Auto refreshing page in your Power BI Desktop.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-automatic-page-refresh
Let me know if that helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors