Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

idriscoll
Regular Visitor

Premium Per User Sharing with Free Users

I started a Premium Per User trial last week and have been exploring premium workspaces. I understand that one of the features of a premium workspace is that content can be shared with and viewed by free users within my organization if it is published in an app. I tried creating a workspace in PPU capacity and creating an app with one .pbix report, and every time free users in my organization try to access this app they get this error message:

Screenshot 2021-01-22 092405.jpg

Am I missing a step? My end goal is to only have one premium per user account for my organization since everyone else within the organization is only viewing content.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @idriscoll ,

Free users only in premium capacity can act the same as a Pro license.PPU is applied for users while Premium capacity is applied for the capacity.

Below are the related references:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-per-user-faq

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-what-is

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
peterpan1966
Frequent Visitor

Solution.  Thanks.  

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@idriscoll - No, you are not missing a step. If you use a Premium capacity then that is when you can share with Free users. However, Premium Per User acts differently. If you use Premium Per User then everyone has to have Premium Per User is my understanding. It is a way to offer Premium features at a lower price point so that small and medium businesses can get the Premium features without shelling out $5K/month. I need to update my Power BI Licensing in Pictures.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I have the opposite problem: I have created a premium per user workspace and share the report with a free user. To my surprise, the free user can access the report with no need to upgrade the account. We don't have premium capacity license in the organization, so it's very confusing for me. Maybe it takes a few hours for the premum per user workspace get recongized in Power BI permission system?

@Greg 

@Greg_Deckler So if free users cannot consume Premium Per User content, doesn't it act just the same as a Pro license?

Hi @idriscoll ,

Free users only in premium capacity can act the same as a Pro license.PPU is applied for users while Premium capacity is applied for the capacity.

Below are the related references:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-per-user-faq

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-what-is

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

what he means its, as its a trial, you dont get the whole tenant to primiun, you are simulating that trial user its in a primiun tenant, therefore others arent as they arent on the triall, they need to run the trial to get it, if you purchase the whole tenant primiun capacity them it will behave as you where expecting. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

so i am really lost here.   i am the only one that will be managing datasets and creating reports in a workspace.  i will be publishing the app for others to consume.  would "others" need a license or will they be able to use the published app with free license?   

they need a licence, if you publish the app in a normal workspace they need a pro licence at least, if the workspace its premiun they need a primiun account to access the app. you dont need to give access to the workspace but same rule applies if you share to anyone the workspace if they are going to contribute with you in the app development. 

the option to share it for free for users that dont have a licence its by publishing the report public web, but this makes so that anyone anywhere that wants to can log into your report. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors