Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shamsuddeenvp
Post Patron
Post Patron

PowerBI is not able to connect with live ssas tabular model using enterprise gateway

Dear,

I am not able to connect SSAS tabular model (Live) from POWERBI. I am able to create data source and all are fine. However when I open the report it throws error saying that "Data source cannot be accessible. Contact gateway administrator. I am using enterprise gateway and able to connect on premise SQL server Database in direct query and all working as desired.

Can anybody guide me on this as I think there is no issue with the firewall or network as I am able to connect server SQL data, issue is with only SSAS tabular model.

Br,

Shamsuddeen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks all. 

I am able to fix this issue. Latest update for the gateway, we can have upn mapping.

there we can define the upn name against the user login. and it solve the issue.

Thanks a lot for the support.

Br,

Shamsuddeen

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jbre03
Frequent Visitor

How would I get to the users tab, to access the mapping user name option, when I'm creating a new SSAS dataset and it throws the following error?

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect. Details: "We reached the enterprise gateway, but the gateway can't access the on-premises data source."

Error Code: DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_DataSourceAccessError

I am unable to add the dataset because of this error and there is no user tab available until after the dataset has been created 

waltheed
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,

SSAS Tabular only accepts Windows accounts, I mean accounts that exist in your local Active Directory (AD) domain.

Between logging to Power BI and accessing the data source, smart things happen.

Your local AD has to be synchronized with the Azure AD. So if you are trying this on your non-domain joined laptop, like I was, you can stop here...

The Power BI user is converted into an effective username which should be authorized as user on the SSAS Tabular Database. You can read that here.

Read from Usernames in Power BI and further

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-indepth/

Here is how to add User Principal Names, if you are allowed to

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756018(v=ws.10).aspx

HTH,

Cheers, Edgar Walther
ITsmart BI and Analytics consultant

Thanks a lot @waltheed. This is I am clear, but my company (most of the compnaies) will have domain name also embedded in upn. for eg: My login to powerbi is johnpaul@companyname.com. I created datasource in gateway in powerbi.com with the user dom/10000. 1000 is staff id of john paul. and data source connection is scuccessfull. and the users tab it shows as john paul.

While adding the user in ssas server, dom/10000 that is expanded to (john paul)1000@dom.local.

this is the scenario i have. How to get sorted out this? should I ask Active directory admin add upn also as johnpaul@companyname.com? not sure they can update as well.

thanks alot and waiting for the response. 

Br,

Shamsuddeen

Hi Shamsuddeen,

From: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-manage-ssas/

Scroll down to "Usernames with Analysis Services"...

The email address the user logged in to Power BI with should match the UPN for the Active Directory account on-premises. The UPN is a property of an Active Directory account. That Windows account then needs to be present in an Analysis Services role. If a match cannot be found, in Active Directory, the login will not be successful.

To add a UPN follow these steps:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772007.aspx

So here you should add johnpaul@companyname.com as a UPN to local user DOM\1000.

Cheers, Edgar Walther
ITsmart BI and Analytics consultant

Thanks all. 

I am able to fix this issue. Latest update for the gateway, we can have upn mapping.

there we can define the upn name against the user login. and it solve the issue.

Thanks a lot for the support.

Br,

Shamsuddeen

@shamsuddeenvp I have the same problem. I'm not using an active directory on my server. Is it possible to map a power bi login email to a local account without active directory?

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@shamsuddeenvp so you've already created report via powerbi desktop connected successfully and published to powerbi.com ? if yes i would suggest you use this guide to basic troubleshoot it. do let us know if still the problem and if you were able to fix it.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-tshoot/

Thanks Ankit for the reply.

I am able to create report on power bi desktop successfully and all working as desired. However once I published to powerbi.com, i am getting error stating that datasource access error, please contact gateway administrator. I am able to create bdata source with success.

Please note that with same enterprise gateway I am able to do reporting oin top of SQL database in direct query mode. So I think there is no issue with network or firewall.

I tried the below troubleshouting techniques as well without success. 

Br,

Shamsuddeen

I think the issue is with effective username , related to UPN.

What to be done to get rid of this.

Thanks!

Shamsuddeen

Hello,

I am still facing this issue, please let me know if anyone has got the solution for this.

Br,

Shamsuddeen

Hi,
Did you add the SSAS data source seperatley in your Gateway? You will need to add it first. 
Thanks,
Dimah

Yes, I did that and connection ios successfull.

I think the issue is with the effective username, UPN has got domain name also come as suffix. That creates the issue I think.

Not sure how to resolve this.

Br,

Shamsuddeen

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors