Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

FarmingBA
Helper I
Helper I

PowerBI Report Online will not refresh automatically (data source: SharePoint list)

Hi there. I've seen this posted a few times now and cannot find an answer which resolves my issues. 

My Power Bi report online will not update unless I perform a manual refresh from the Desktop App and then re-Publish the report to the workspace.

My data source is a SharePoint list. In Desktop, I have imported the data source (rather than selected "visualise this in PowerBI" from the list). I have then created my report and published online to my workspace. When users update the SharePoint list, then the PowerBI report should update - but it never does. It is always showing old data. Whenever I perform a manual refresh in Dekstop and then re-publish, it updates the online report just fine (so there is no issue/errors with the data refresh).

I have done attempted three things which have not helped:

• Set-up scheduled refresh (8x a day). It tells me that the refresh was successful, but the report visuals are not updated - doesn't work
  • Created a Power Automate flow which refreshes the data-set everytime the Sharepoint list is edited - doesn't work
  • Created a "Power Automate" button on the report which users can click to manually fresh the data-set. When clicked, it tells me that it is "triggered" and the data shows that it has been successful. However, the report visuals do not update - doesn't work

Even clicking the "refresh visuals" button on the report in PowerBi online does nothing. Why is it so hard to get the report visuals to update based on what the SharePoint list looks like? At this stage, I'd even take an hourly or even daily update!! As it stands, the only way I can update PowerBI online is t refresh the data-set in the desktop app manually and re-publish each time? I have to do this many times a day, just so the users can see the latest data in the report.

I'd be grateful for some help. I can provide screenshots if required.

3 REPLIES 3
pmreis
Super User
Super User

Hi @FarmingBA 

As a test, create a new, simple report with the same SharePoint list as a data source and publish it to see if the issue persists. This can help isolate whether the problem is with the specific report or the data source connection.

This might lead you to isolate and find out the issue.

Pedro Reis - Data Platform MVP / MCT
Making Power BI and Fabric Simple

If my response resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help others find it. If you found it helpful, please consider giving it a kudos. Your feedback is highly appreciated!

Find me at LinkedIn
FarmingBA
Helper I
Helper I

I never did sadly. I only need the reports to be updated 2-3 times a week, so I do it manually. It's not ideal. Please do respond on here if you ever find a fix. My busines has just had a new BI Developer join, so when they are settled in I will raise this with them. I will also respond on here if I find a fix. 

Stanley_Liu2023
Regular Visitor

Hi, @FarmingBA I had exactly same issue as you. Did you solve it now?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors