Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kraken
Advocate I
Advocate I

PowerBI - Exporting reports to PDF or PowerPoint losing filtration on report.

Morning,

It appears that something has changed within the functionality of the exporting within the PowerBI service area. 

PowerBI Issue.png

Issue

Use the export as PowerPoint or PDF is removing any filtration the users have on the exported file. 

Expected

Whatever filters the user has applied on the page should be replicated within the exported file in either PowerPoint or PDF. 

Is this a known issue or a new feature?

Also, we are using the "Current Values" as the export option.

Kraken_0-1696927289562.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mlong
Advocate I
Advocate I

I just ran a quick test and export to PDF with respecting filters appears to be fixed. This issue has happened at least once or twice per year for the last 3 years.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
mlong
Advocate I
Advocate I

I just ran a quick test and export to PDF with respecting filters appears to be fixed. This issue has happened at least once or twice per year for the last 3 years.

jacschZA
Advocate I
Advocate I

Interestingly this only seems to happen if there is a Bookmark created. If you remove the Bookmark from the report, it also then works.

Mentioned in the below old post.

But see the fix coming the 15th.
https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Export-to-PDF-from-Service-not-respecting-Current-...

we4get
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi all,

Just received this from MS - https://support.fabric.microsoft.com/en-SG/support/ 

Looks like fix planned for 15th 😀

HackThemAll

Same problem here, with some value the export to pdf function is working and with other not it seems a bug not an expected behaviour 

DanNewton
Regular Visitor

We are also having this issue in our environment and have opened a support request. @we4get have Microsoft aknowledged a bug/fault yet?

Hi @DanNewton 

I've been on calls with support team and demonstrated the issue (also referring to this thread originally noted by @Kraken )

Ticket is currently Open (Troubleshooting)

I've asked them if they can update in here (unsure if that's a normal request though 🙂 

we4get
Advocate I
Advocate I

I've raised a support ticket on this - 2309260050000376

The issue of Power BI not respecting slicers when exporting to PDF is still persitant as of 10/09/2023. This has been ongoing since 10/02/2023. Raising a new support ticket.

A workaround we've found is to disable the option "Don't allow end user to save filters on this report." With this option disabled, filters are honoured by the PDF export.

Microsoft closed our support ticket saying for now this was expected behavior.

I don't understand how this could be true: "Microsoft closed our support ticket saying for now this was expected behavior" considering that there is a button which the user selects if they want current/default values?

To quote the response we had

As discussed, export to PDF is working as expected when persistent filters is disabled from report settings in power bi desktop and published.

This is expected behavior of this feature  in service with latest releases.

Please be assured that this behavior is already reported to product team as feedback.

They are working on it to bring back to its old behavior but there is no ETA as of now.

Let us know if you have any further queries , we are happy to help you on the same.

We don't want to disable "Don't allow end user to save filters", as it results in people leaving the filters all over the place for the next person. Interestingly if you export to PowerPoint the filters stay, so that suggests it isn't expected behaviour but a bug on the .pdf side?

Totally agree - I've responded on my ticket to advise that this works as a temporary workaround but not accepted as a solution for the reasons you state

we4get
Advocate I
Advocate I

This is also impacting us. How do we get this picked up as a new issue?

Thanks

pmreis
Super User
Super User

Hi @Kraken 

After you select PDF or PPT + Embed an Image, you will see the prompt to specify if the export with Current or Default values. In order to keep the user selections please use "Current Values"

pmreis_1-1695641094664.png

Did I answer your question? If so please mark my answer as a solution so that it can help others to find it!

Sorry I didnt mention it. Yes they are using the current values option as they always have done. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors