Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power bi usage monitoring - audit logs

Hi Power BI Crew,

I am tyring to get powerBI adoption/usage log report for my organisation. 

We have used consolidated view of all 'Usage reports' using this genius 'hack':
https://binarylies.ghost.io/importing-data-from-another-power-bi-service-dataset/ 
via  SSIS > to sql > to powerBI 

However a decision was made to use o365 activity logs instead (more detailed data, we thought we have some missing views in some usage reports). 

So now everything is switched to this: 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-auditing

However I do not se any options/activity types for 'ViewedApp' or 'ViewedContentPack'. Maybe someone had some luck finding these statistics? 

Or it just should show up as 'ViewedReport' type instead? 

Thank you in advance for responses! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

think I got it. 

When user views a report which has a 'publishApp' tag on the workspace it's in and I see it as viewReport in MyWorkspace - user viewed it via app?? 

🙂 

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous 

Glad to hear you've got it, please accept the reply as solution to close this thread.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous 

Those are the auditing functions that are actually technically part of Office 365. In Power BI Service, click gear icon, Admin portal and then Audit logs.You must meet the requirements to access audit logs.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

thanks for your reply. 

I am doing the same thing. The idea of this is pull the logs and store more than last 90 days, so I'm using a powershell script whcih will run daily, I use the same code as in the example as per requirements page. 

In the result i get :
Activities from the log streamActivities from the log streamSo according to PowerShell example  -RecordType PowerBIAudit argument says that I am looking only in power BI audit logs. Works fine from here, I've done my homework and I have all needed access. 

However we distribute most of our reports via apps, so it would be awesome to see who accessed/view the reports via group and who used the app. 

I know for a fact that one user installed and viewed a report via app yesterday, I can see it in the logs today with 'ViewReport' activity tag. 

So my question is: what is the logic or how to determine when an app was used and when a report was accessed via workspace? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

think I got it. 

When user views a report which has a 'publishApp' tag on the workspace it's in and I see it as viewReport in MyWorkspace - user viewed it via app?? 

🙂 

Hi @Anonymous 

Glad to hear you've got it, please accept the reply as solution to close this thread.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors