Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

esam
Frequent Visitor

Power Bi Dashboard

I have a question,

suppose i have created a report using excel file and published it in pbi service and weekly i'm getting fresh data in excel format to update my dashboard.

So how would i update my dashboard while keeping the previous data also where will the excel file be stored and what would be an alternate solution to this.

Thanks in advance!!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Migasuke
Super User
Super User

Hi @esam ,

for your case there are two optimal scenarios:
1. You will have folder and every week you will add new excel file to the folder. Then old files contain your historical data.
2. You will have one single excel file and you will "stack" your data inside. So one week you add new rows, next week you add another rows but you will never delete anything.

If you want to refresh data automatic, best would be to have this/those files online, probably Sharepoint would be most suitable.

In case you need more info, let me know.

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

View solution in original post

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi ,  @esam 

According to your requirements, you want to keep the historical data before the data refresh after each data refresh is completed, which is equivalent to doing a historical table archive effect, for this feature my idea is that you can try to use dataflows to connect to your Excel data sources and turn on Azure connection for your Power BI workspace, which will make the dataflow in your workspace to Azure Data Lake, the most advanced version of Azure's most advanced version of Azure Gen 2 stores and retains the previous historical data files after each data refresh in CDM format file storage.

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1675304355161.png

For some pre-requirements for this feature and some more detailed descriptions and benefits, please check this official document in detail if it is convenient:
Configuring dataflow storage to use Azure Data Lake Gen 2 - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi ,  @esam 

According to your requirements, you want to keep the historical data before the data refresh after each data refresh is completed, which is equivalent to doing a historical table archive effect, for this feature my idea is that you can try to use dataflows to connect to your Excel data sources and turn on Azure connection for your Power BI workspace, which will make the dataflow in your workspace to Azure Data Lake, the most advanced version of Azure's most advanced version of Azure Gen 2 stores and retains the previous historical data files after each data refresh in CDM format file storage.

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1675304355161.png

For some pre-requirements for this feature and some more detailed descriptions and benefits, please check this official document in detail if it is convenient:
Configuring dataflow storage to use Azure Data Lake Gen 2 - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

pratyashasamal
Super User
Super User

Hi @esam ,

It would be a good idea to have your excel sheets in onedrive as power bi will be able to detect the changes you make in your workbook( Changes can be adding new columns, adding new data, changing existing column/data, adding/ changing measures )

For more details you can check the below link:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-excel-file-local-drive/

Thanks,
Pratyasha Samal
Has this post solved your problem? Please Accept as Solution so that others can find it quickly and to let the community know your problem has been solved.
If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos C

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Migasuke
Super User
Super User

Hi @esam ,

for your case there are two optimal scenarios:
1. You will have folder and every week you will add new excel file to the folder. Then old files contain your historical data.
2. You will have one single excel file and you will "stack" your data inside. So one week you add new rows, next week you add another rows but you will never delete anything.

If you want to refresh data automatic, best would be to have this/those files online, probably Sharepoint would be most suitable.

In case you need more info, let me know.

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors