Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI query costs

Hi,

I received a question regarding how resource-demanding Power BI is. It is not clear what they actually point at but I am assuming it is with regards to cost since they are querying another servers database (I don't know where the data is stored).

When it comes to cost, how should I think and calculate about it when it comes to querying? I know the Power BI pro license is 9.99$ with 10GB limit but are there any additional costs when the data is imported and stored in Azure?

Do I have to look at where the data is stored and what costs there are? (Such as google BigQuery where it checks the amount of queries, how heavy they are and calculates the cost). And having the data stored in Azure, the queries do not cost, it's baked in in the 9.99$?

Am i thinking correctly or am i way wrong?

And of course there are the hardware recommendations with CPUs and so on but those are known and enough already.

I hope someone can help out on this!

Kind regards,

Jari

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Queries do not cost. Power BI Desktop is Free. Power BI Service is charged according to the license.

You could check this document about the different Power BI service features by license type.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Queries do not cost. Power BI Desktop is Free. Power BI Service is charged according to the license.

You could check this document about the different Power BI service features by license type.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

This is one of those questions where you have to decide what you are trying to estimate for and what depth do you want to get into with this sort of analysis.  The Power BI piece is easy - the market cost is $9.99 a month for a Pro license.  That is it.  There is no other cost related to Power BI.  There are other licenses you can get which cost more and may give you more benefits, but that is probably not needed if you are starting out.

Now, if you have OTHER things that you are wanting to calculate then you should use it all, which off the top of my head here are some of the easy ones:

• Personnel time
  • Network Time
  • Network usage
  • Storage costs
  • Storage Backup costs
  • Laptop/Server costs
  • etc. etc.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors