Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yaronklein
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI gateway cannot connect to Jira on premise

Hi everyone,

I have a Power BI report that uses Power BI connector plugin (by Alpha Serve) to connect to our Jira on premise.

It uses oData feed and the url looks something like that – “https://jira.CompanyName.com/plugins/servlet/biconnect/odata/...

Because Jira is on premise and requires access rights and VPN, I was planning to use a gateway.

The problem is that the Power BI server doesn’t recognize the need for a gateway and provide the following message and all options are disable:

yaronklein_0-1645016079684.png

Our assumption is that Power BI server checks if there is a response from this DNS Record on the URL and if there is then it decides that a gateway is not needed.
In our case, https://jira.CompanyName.com has a published public DNS record for an integration with AHA, so there is a responce, but it will not work.

Any ideas about how to solve this?

Do you know if there is a way to force a gateway connection on Power BI service side?

Thanks,
Yaron

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Have you configured you gateway ? If not Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Docs
If Yes - Add a new datasource in Gateway Add or remove a gateway data source - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Once added you will be able to see this under gateway section of dataset settings

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

Hi arvindsingh802,
The problem was finally solved and you were right, however I would like to add a detail - I used personal gateway and this option is not part of the personal gateway, only the standard one. 
Thanks,
Yaron

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
yaronklein
Helper II
Helper II

I tried both personal and standard gateway and it works fine with other data sources that are local.
However, the problem that the Power BI service thinks that for this specific oData, I don't need a a Gateway and this is I beleive is the root of the problem.

arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

Please follow below steps

1. Install Power BI connector plugin (by Alpha Serve) on Gateway server

2. Create an oData data source under your Gateway using exact same URL as using in power BI desktop

3. You will automatically be getting option to pick gateway datasource

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!

Thanks arvindsingh802 ,
I am not sure what you mean to install the conenctor plugin on the Gateway as it installed on Jira.
Also, when I create my oData data source, I am doing it from Jira web pages, so what does it mean to do under the gateway?
Can you please be more specific.

Have you configured you gateway ? If not Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Docs
If Yes - Add a new datasource in Gateway Add or remove a gateway data source - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Once added you will be able to see this under gateway section of dataset settings

Hi arvindsingh802,
The problem was finally solved and you were right, however I would like to add a detail - I used personal gateway and this option is not part of the personal gateway, only the standard one. 
Thanks,
Yaron

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors