Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jaykwilliams
Frequent Visitor

Power BI dataset configuration - unified account

My organization uses a number of developers that regularly cycle on and off projects, and would like to centralize ownership of data configurations for numerous reports with different data sources via a single 'service' account. 

Does anyone have insight into the potential challenges of this desired state? We currently use a variety of data sources (including AAS, SQL db, SharePoint files) and we know that the service account would likely require access to all of these data sources. 

(As an aside, we currently copy our IT help desk if a data refresh fails, via the Schedule Refresh menu)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there

I have implemented it in this way in the past and I have not found there to be any issues.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

There was a new feature where you can now add other users to the dataset failure notifications

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/sending-refresh-notifications-to-others/

With regards to the dataset configuration I would go the route of a Service account.

Power BI Blog

Yes, we're currently using the new feature to send an email to a service account for dataset failure notifications.

However, there is still a strong desire to configure and manage our data sets via a service account.

Are we likely to experience problems if we utilize a service account in that way?

Hi there

I have implemented it in this way in the past and I have not found there to be any issues.

Power BI Blog

Hello @GilbertQ 

can you provide some more details on this?

Actually I am looking to do the same for my dataset i.e. configure the scheduled refresh using a service account.

Does this mean I use "Windows" authentication and I have to login to Power BI using my service account so that it uses its credentials for windows login?

If yes, this means I also provide a Power BI license to service account.

Regards

Hi there

Yes you are correct that you would then need to use a Power BI Pro license for the service account to allow it to refresh and complete all the standard Power BI functions.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors