Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Reply
willpage
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI dataflows and date/time columns error

I have a SQL database that contains datetime columns in some of the tables. The locale of the server is NZ English so the datetimes come through as 15/01/2020, 12:00:00 am

 

This comes through fine when I connect directly from PBI desktop to the server, and I can work with these dates no problem. Also, if I connect a PBI dataflow to the server via a on prem gateway all is good, the date columns show up just fine in the query editor in the cloud.

 

However, if I connect PBI desktop to the dataflow, the datetime columns error out with the "We couldn't parse the input provided as a DateTime value" message.

 

I have figured I can resolve this for columns where it's a date only (i.e. the time is always 12:00:00 am) by converting using Locale to Date > English (New Zealand) in the dataflow.

 

However, some of the columns do actually have a time that I want to be available in PBI desktop, but when I convert using locale to DateTime or DateTimeZone, they still error out in PBI desktop.

 

I guess this is some incompatible combination of locale settings between the SQL server, powerbi.com and PBI desktop.

 

I'd love to be able to resolve this without resorting to either splitting out the time as a string and recombining or just ignoring the time and working only with dates. I have a lot of tables and a lot of columns I want to add to my dataflows so the easiest workaround/solution to this is what I'm going for.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
willpage
Helper II
Helper II

I finally figured the workaround to this issue.

 

In the dataflow entity editor (Power Query) Home ribbon, go Options -> Project ptions and choose English (United Kingdom) from the Locale drop down. It was defaulted to English (New Zealand).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
willpage
Helper II
Helper II

I finally figured the workaround to this issue.

 

In the dataflow entity editor (Power Query) Home ribbon, go Options -> Project ptions and choose English (United Kingdom) from the Locale drop down. It was defaulted to English (New Zealand).

Hi @willpage ,

 

If you solved the issue, please accept your own reply as the solution.

More people will benefit from it.

 

 

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors