Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Frenchtom811
Resolver I
Resolver I

Power BI access and permission control

I have discovered that some people on my team have access to dashboards that have not been shared with them.  For instance, I recently published a dashboard to our team site on app.powerbi.com and shared a link with only my boss.  A couple days later, two of my peers tell me they found my new dashboard and have been using it.  The problem is that the dashboard is in a beta stage and I never shared it with these two peers.  They are using bad data without knowing it.

I clicked on the members link under the site settings as shown below.

PBI Members.PNG

Then I clicked on the Owner and Member links shown below.   

PBI Members2.PNG

I have people in the Owner's link who are classified as Members and people in the Member's link who are classified as owners.  In some cases, a person is a Member within the Owner's link and and Owner within the Member's link.  Is this the reason why some people can see dashboards despite never receiving a share link?  Should I have only owners in under the Owner's link and members within the Member's link?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Frenchtom811 

You are correct a member role in an App Workspace will be able to see all the dashboards and reports within an App Workspace.

I would share the data with users via an App and that would then limit what dashboards or reports a user could see or not see. 

And then sharing with individual users who can then see a dashboard.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Frenchtom811 

You are correct a member role in an App Workspace will be able to see all the dashboards and reports within an App Workspace.

I would share the data with users via an App and that would then limit what dashboards or reports a user could see or not see. 

And then sharing with individual users who can then see a dashboard.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors