Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vandam2
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Sign in

good morning everyone, i am new to Power BI and its a bit confusing with the desktop capabilities vs online, I want to publish a power bi report (using embed) to sharepoint online and also in Powerapps, but everytime my team tries to open the report they are stopped by teh power bi login screen, do we need a license to be able to veiw and interact with a Power BI report? (i assumed since Power BI is free, you would also be able to at least view a report)

vandam2_0-1685112921104.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Correct, they need a license. If your report is published from a Power BI Pro workspace, they need a Pro license to see it, no matter where you subsequently host that report - SharePoint for example. If it is a Premium Per User workspace, they also need a PPU license to view it.

If you post it to a Premium Capacity, they still need a license but that is a Free license as now you are effectively renting a server to share the reports.

The free part is you can create whatever you want, and publish it to My Workspace if desired. But without a Pro or higher license, you cannot share it. That is the revenue model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
edhans
Super User
Super User

Correct, they need a license. If your report is published from a Power BI Pro workspace, they need a Pro license to see it, no matter where you subsequently host that report - SharePoint for example. If it is a Premium Per User workspace, they also need a PPU license to view it.

If you post it to a Premium Capacity, they still need a license but that is a Free license as now you are effectively renting a server to share the reports.

The free part is you can create whatever you want, and publish it to My Workspace if desired. But without a Pro or higher license, you cannot share it. That is the revenue model.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

thank you so much for your help on this, i will reach out to IT and see what our licensing options are, i know we also do have Power BI Report Server, maybe that is their way around this licensing thing? not sure if they can view on there without needing a license, 

thank you for your explanation

If you have Power BI Report Server then you also have a P1 Premium capacity. You cannot get RS without Premium. Your IT department just isn't using it or rolling it out. But a P1 Premium capacity will allow you to share with others with the Power BI Free license that works on any P1 - P5 capacity.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors