Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GrimReaperX
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI Service questions

Hello folks,

I am new to service environment and have couple of questions. 
I have power bi pro license assigned to my profile within my company. My colleague shared a report and dataset with me where they are with diamond symbol. I am able to see the created report however when I try to go dataset with the link shared with me, i can see nothing. Is there some specific reason you can think of?

Besides that, is it possible to create measures in this report in service environment? Can i edit report or create new report based on this shared dataset?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

1. You can view the existence of the Dataset if the Admin adds you to the Workspace that the Dataset exists in, but you really don't need to see where it lives, you just need the permissions to use it which is what they did for you.  For example:  I keep my Datasets in a Workspace that no one else can see, but I give permissions to use the Dataset.  This allows users to view reports/create their own.

2. Correct

3. You can live connect to the Dataset in Desktop and build from scratch, but per my last reply, most users create reports from scratch in Service via Create Report > Pick a published Dataset  (most users don't create Measures, in my opinion the Dataset creator should provide the Measure if it's a long term need).

4. It sounds like the Dataset admin just gave you permissions to the Dataset, therefore you can build reports on it as outline above.
5. While you have Premium, the main need for a Pro License is to author/manage Datasets.  One of the advantages of Premium is not needing to buy Pro Licenses except for a select group of Dataset authors.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
cassidy
Power Participant
Power Participant

I can't think of how you could share a link to a Dataset, so maybe they shared a blank report link that was using the Dataset.  If it's a report, perhaps when you click the Edit Pencil on the tool bar you'll then see the Dataset available to you on the right pane.

You cannot create Measures in a report in Service, only in Desktop. 

You can edit or create a new report from a shared dataset.  Typically I click the "+ Create" on the left nav, Create Report > Pick a published Dataset, of which you will see what's available to you.  And then the tricky part is to select the down arrow next to "Auto-Create Report" and choose Create Blank Report.  Auto-Create is nearly useless in most cases.

Thank you for the reply. I've got email with a link that a dataset is shared with me. So basically what I understand

1. You cannot view the dataset in Service environment for the shared report's dataset

2. You cannot add measures in service environment

3. Is it possible to get the data to build the report from scratch in desktop environment

4. The report is shared with me and I am not included in any workspace of this report. What can I execute with this report in this case

5. I have pro license while report is with diamond premium capacity, any limitations for me? Does being pro license user restirct anything if the report is premium capacity

Thank you

1. You can view the existence of the Dataset if the Admin adds you to the Workspace that the Dataset exists in, but you really don't need to see where it lives, you just need the permissions to use it which is what they did for you.  For example:  I keep my Datasets in a Workspace that no one else can see, but I give permissions to use the Dataset.  This allows users to view reports/create their own.

2. Correct

3. You can live connect to the Dataset in Desktop and build from scratch, but per my last reply, most users create reports from scratch in Service via Create Report > Pick a published Dataset  (most users don't create Measures, in my opinion the Dataset creator should provide the Measure if it's a long term need).

4. It sounds like the Dataset admin just gave you permissions to the Dataset, therefore you can build reports on it as outline above.
5. While you have Premium, the main need for a Pro License is to author/manage Datasets.  One of the advantages of Premium is not needing to buy Pro Licenses except for a select group of Dataset authors.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors