Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

KevinParijs
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Service & On Premises Data Gateway

Hi,

I'm pulling my data from a on-prem SQL Server.
I used one of our "standard" Power BI pbix files and enchanced it with customer specific tables

Once I publish the report to a workspace and check the settings of the dataset, to change it to a datasource i've setup in the gateway I see following message:

gateway_connection.png

I don't understand why the Power BI Service is saying this...

I have checked the customer specific pbix file and I only have one datasource which is the on-prem SQL server.

I have tried following things:

1. I made a copy of the pbix file and removed all tables and kept my parameters => kept giving me the same message

2. I created a blank pbix file, read 1 table from the same SQL server => I could setup the datagateway correctly

3. I made a copy of one of our standard pbix files (without any customer specific tables) and published this one =>I could setup the datagateway correctly.

4. I tried working with the IP address of the server => kept giving me the same message

5. I tried installing an older version of the gateway => still same error

I'm running the latest version of Power BI Desktop and On-Premises Data Gateway (June 2020).

Anyone else ever experienced this behaviour?

I'm out of ideas and I don't really want to start from scratch since this was a few days work to get the data correctly.

Regards,

Kevin

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I have not but can you just turn the gateway on anyway? Seems like you should be able to.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg, 

Yes, I can turn it on, but i'm presented with the message "not configured correctly".
I know that the Server and Database names need to be the same as in the Gateway in order for the service to link them, but I have checked this multiple times and I keep getting this error.

gateway_connection2.png

I've also checked the FW and I don't think this is an issue either since I can connect correctly via the gateway.

gateway_connection2.png

Regards,

Kevin

Hi @KevinParijs ,

Please check the Privacy levels, configure it as Organizational or Public.

P1.jpg

Please refer the two articles.

Manage your data source - SQL Server

Troubleshoot gateways - Power BI

If it doesn’t meet your requirement, we suggest you to open a ticket here for help if you are a pro user. Let engineers solve the issue from your point of view : https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Support Ticket .gif

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors