Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

markefrody
Post Patron
Post Patron

Power BI Service Retrieving Old or New Data Every Refresh

Hi,

When refreshing reports in shared workspace in Power BI Service, data being retrieved sometimes is old data which is from Dec 13 downwards. Sometimes when I refresh it again, it retrieves updated/new data and the old data is gone. If refreshed again, it reverts back to old data, so on and so fourth. I tried publishing again the report from PBI Desktop to PBI Service and it still has this issue. Also created a new report to test and it still has this issue. This issue only came up this week. Past weeks I have never encountered this issue.

Upon checking Power BI Desktop and SQL data source, it only contains updated/new data. The old data cannot be be seen. So I'm unsure where Power BI Service is picking up the old data.

I have tried to export the data used in the table in Power BI Service to Excel. First I tried to export  the report using old data. Then I tried exporting the report using new data. When I checked their connection in the Excel pivot table it shows they have the same connection. Also noticed when I refreshed the pivot table of the Excel using the new data, it suddenly reverted back to the old data!

I'm not sure what is happening. Is it because:
1. There is something wrong with the Power BI Service itself?
2. My company had availed of Azure Virtual Desktop wherein it is doing some tests this week by mirroring SQL in Rackspace? But now the Azure Virtual Desktop is disconnected. Even if it is now disconnected, it is showing the old data.

Information regarding report used:

1. Using storage mode as Direct Query

2. Have no relationships setup in Power BI Desktop

3. Data source is located in Rackspace SQL

4. The Power BI Desktop and SQL is located in Remote Desktop.

5. I have not changed anything in the report or how it was setup in Power BI Service. Gateway was not changed.

I have posted this in the "Issues" forum below:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Visuals-Not-Refreshing-Correctly-in-Power-BI-Service/idc-p/2...
Which is still being investigated. But I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out since I really don't know what is causing this issue and how to fix it.

Thanks and best regards,

Mark V

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
markefrody
Post Patron
Post Patron

Thanks for the assistance. 

Have already solved the issue. I had the gateway restarted. This cleared the stuck old data.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
markefrody
Post Patron
Post Patron

Thanks for the assistance. 

Have already solved the issue. I had the gateway restarted. This cleared the stuck old data.

v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @markefrody 

For your problem, I can see that you have carried out some tests. Considering that you described that your company uses azure virtual desktop and they mirror the data in Rackspace, you can try to update your gateway connection to see if it has an impact on the refresh results.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue but gate way restart didn't solve my problem. 

Just wondering if you could help with my question, I have contacted the MS support and opened a ticket, but seems like the team not very interested to explore the root cause might related to the VM. 

original post  

Many Thanks.

Hi @v-zhangti.,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I cannot use the Azure Virtual Desktop as a gateway since they disconnected it. I am still getting old data while new data vanished whenever I refresh the report. 

Is there a way to see how Power BI Service collects the data? So I can see where the old data is coming from.

Best regards,
Mark V 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors